Nokia Nails It with Affordable Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I guess if you don't want a contract with a carrier, those are great prices.. Personally, free Droid and a 2year contract gets my deal.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I'm overly satisfied with my HTC Tattoo running Android 1,6 Donut - It set me back just 399$ and I would choose Android over Symbian and Series40 any day.

G

We should get rid of cell phones and go back to land lines. Or perhaps two metal cans and a piece of string.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
The C6 (only one I would be interested in of the three) seems to be a cheaper version of both the N97 and the N900. www.nokia.co.uk is yet to list them in their product lines so I will wait until I can compare the C6 and the N900 fully. As long as the C6 incorporates Wi-Fi and supports Flash along with AVI video files then I think they are on to a 'C'ertain winner.

rescawen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
rmmil978 they droid is a dataplan shit, ull have to pay loads per month, this is the unlocked price and u just have to apply 22% more in our country. In the end ull be playing atleast 50 dollars every month, u should the contracts.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I have the cheaper version of the C6, the 5230 or whatever from Tmobile and for the price it offers a TON of features. Android like Multi-Taking, Copy/Paste, a headphone jack, it's great!

hons

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
What set you back is not the phone but the plan!!!
A family plan of 3 phones will cost you $200 from ATT and VZN!!!!

fanscale

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
No FM radio options? I'm impressed the smartphones are getting cheaper, but I want an all in one device that can plug into my tv and play FPS. Another year or two?

js1882

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Wow! Finally some Nokia coverage. I'm tired of all this iphone and droid crap. Nokia get no attention even though it is STILL the largest phone manufacture in the world. Nokia was making smartphones since 2002, before google was even a popular search engine and apple had barley released the ipod.
It's like never posting stories about microsoft or intel.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I'd buy if there was no contract or data plan. (I don't need web browse, etc - just phone, address book, sms and optionally camera).

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
The expensive part isn't the phone, it's the data plan. You can get a Droid Eris for free with a data plan. So if you can afford the data plan I don't see the point in a cheap smart phone.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I wouldn't take it even if ATT give me $100 because the mandatory data plan for two years. That is $30 extra per month on top of your voice plan, in two years you end up paying $720 more. You can buy or do a lot of things with $720.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]rmmil978[/nom]Affordable smartphones you say? You can get the Motorola DROID from Amazon for $19. I'd say that's a pretty good price![/citation]

Motorola is a small-time player with tastless designs. Perhaps that's why they are practically donating their phones free to get market share up from the rock bottom they now are.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I own a Nokia touchscreen smartphone with a 3.2 inches screen

I like the look and feel, interface and capabilities of Symbian OS, it serves me right as a cell phone and a music player. Hardware likewise it is capable of smooth SD video playback and surfing sites with flash using Opera. And here the dream ends...

The truth is that it is not convenient to surf the internet or watch a movie and I only do it when it is my only option. The problem with Nokia is the screen size, the experience is the same as gaming in a 10 inch screen. If they want to compete on the smartphone market they have to build phones with larger screens. I have only felt comfortable with a droid or an iPhone. Last but not least they have to draw developers on their open platform. Symbian has an immense market share but doesn't seem to take advantage of..

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
If they really want to nail it, make a phone with a monochrome screen w/back light, ability for caller id, call waiting, voice mail, hands free capable, simple texting; and 3 week battery capacity.

I really could care less for people face-booking while talking to a friend who wants gps instructions to a concert she just bought tickets with some stupid app on a contract that costs $120+ a month.

I know i know... "get off my lawn"...

G

Humans Think: Why would you watch a movie on your phone?!

tsnorquist: I like it but I'd cut the battery to one week and add the ability to play mp3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.