Nokia Officially Reveals the N97 Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaugh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
YES...

I ended up switching from T-Mobile to ATT when I purchased an N97 so 3g would work. Not only is there a revised version N97 Mini, Nokia is also releasing the N900 which will only work with T-Mobile.

Even if I sell my N97 for the N900, i'm locked into a 2 year contract with ATT.

I'm not going to even go into how buggy the N97 is. Hopefully additional firmware updates will make it more stable.

Not happy with Nokia at the moment.

chulek

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I do regret purchasing my N97. It's buggy, it has a slow processor and only 128 MB RAM.
As chaugh said, I hope that new firmware updates will make it more stable, but I feel Symbian is an almost obsolete OS.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
The Nokia N95 was also buggy in the beginning. I remember countless times I plugged in my headphones and the phone would reboot.

Only after many firmware revisions did they fix almost all if not all the bugs. Mine only crashes very seldomly now.

But I do agree with Chulek, Symbian is a nice operating system, but it needs a revamping. Upgrading the OS for example implies you make a full backup of everything because the phone's memory gets wiped and the OS fully reinstalled every time you want to upgrade the firmware/OS.

Imagine if Windows worked the same way an updated came along!

jakeypal

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I agree that touch-enabled Symbian is very buggy. I currently use Nokia 5800 XM and it's still unbelievable buggy after 3 (!) firmware updates. I am looking forward to Nokia N900 and a Linux-based platform. I hope it will provide more stability and same access to applications as Symbian. I am too very upset by the need to reinstall the software every time firmware changes. It's a great nuissance. Even Sony-Ericson's Symbian does not have this problem so it's not Symbian to blame but Nokia.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Nokia phones have been buggy across the range ever since Symbian 3 came out. The worst part of it is that every model seems to suffer the same issues from release hinting that the Firmware updates are model specific and never make it in to the Image of the OS that is originally installed.
Nokia makes some lovely phones and I love the menu system. After trying other manufacturers for a few years it felt like coming home when I got my N73 a few years ago. But the buggy-ness of each and every release is inexcusable. I am still using my N73 because I refuse to update to a buggy phone, inspite of liking the N95, N86, N96 and now the N97.
Back to the main topic, this phone is dubbed 'Mini' and I fail to see the 'Mini' part of the phone. So they have scraped off a couple MMs here and there... 'OOOHHH... Ahhhhh...'. I think it will still be a while before I think of updating my phone.

G

I think apple iphone (3gs now) is still the best touch smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.