Nokia Seeking New CEO After Stock Drops 42%

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
It's hard for Nokia to compete in the smartphone market with their current offerings. When you think "smartphone", chances are you don't think "Nokia". The last Nokia I owned was a 5120...back in like 1999. Ever since then i've used phones from other makers that had better features, better performance, and comparable prices.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I'm not sure a new CEO can turn things around this late in the game. I haven't heard of anyone owning a Nokia phone since, well, 1999.

BadCommand

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Looks like Olli went to Prince's school of technology advancement- The smartphone is completely over.
Apparently Nokia is halving production of smartphones this year to concentrate on lower end phones.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I loved my old Nokia 1100. Durable. Super long battery life. Flashlight.

They seemed to get rid of the basic features (Flashlight, compas, FM radio) and their whole advantage was lost. All they needed to do was add a few features to their existing offerings earlier, and they had some slam dunk products.

Price and marketing was their next mistakes. I haven't even heard Nokia mentioned on main stream channels. Where was the product placement? Last time I have even HEARD NOKIA uttered was in the 1st Transformers movie...

Maddox (Best Page in the Universe) tried to pimp his Nokia when the 1st iPhone came out. But I doubt that even helped.

Nokia still has a chance, but they have to learn the US market and what we want. They might have to just relent and use Android, but I don't see how their products would be any better than anyone else's offerings.

I kind of wish we would switch over to a single system of transmission, like in Eurasia. GSM and unlocked phones are a huge help to the phone market.

js1882

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
They shot themselves in the foot when they didn't buy Palm. If they want to do smartphones then they better jump on the Android bandwagon now.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
how about them releasing the n8 earlier

Yea nokia seem to take a while to release their phones but maybe thats to avoid any teething problems (iphones for example)

But although nokia hasn't released any game changing phones for a while they have at least been on par with the competition and obviously ahead of apple. N95, N82, N85, N86, N96, N97, N900 and the N8 looks good once released, plus i like the idea of having FM transmitters built in.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
How about adopting Android?The functionality of Android with the reliability and quality of Nokia phones is one killer combination.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]I'm not sure a new CEO can turn things around this late in the game. I haven't heard of anyone owning a Nokia phone since, well, 1999.[/citation]

In Europe Nokia is still #1 It is still much more reliable than iCrap. Although lately I'm not very happy with their offerings. XM 5800 was a rushed out product. It's not a cool as iPhone but it does great job at fraction of the price - talking. The main complaint I have is that Nokia's Symbian software is so buggy. Older non-Symbian phones were rock solid.
BTW here they sell iPhone 3GS for $500 with 2 year contract. :D I've got my XM for $150 without a contract.

smile9999

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I have a nokia myself, been 4 years with me, here in Egypt nokia is the number one brand followed by samsung,

I have been tempted to change my nokia for an iphone but I am a heavy user and I have dropped my mobile tons of time and the iphone cant live with that lol and honestly all I need out of a mobile is to make calls and the rare occasion to go on the net and nokia provides that perfectly and I never complained of reception

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
"selling boatloads of dumbphones".
Nokia is #1 in the world (not only Europe) and that when being de facto embargoed on US market. And they have great devices too.

So I guess this is a case of "dumbjournalism".

Status
Not open for further replies.