Nokia Shows Off Its First Windows Phone Offerings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
First thing I noticed is that it not have round corners like all the copy cat phones out there, but I am sure that will come at a price when people loose the phones after repeatedly putting them in their pockets so that holes get cut in the pockets. Nothing like holy pockets to loose stuff when walking around.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Really like this phone, I only wish it had a beefier processor (dual core at least). Hopefully when Win 8 comes out they will have a better processor in it. I would probably buy one then, as I tend to favor Nokia phones due to the lower price point.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I'm not sure much other than HD recording actually uses dual cores on anything other then the new iphone. Going for 1 faster core might make more sense in normal use.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
This is great news. I love Win 7, but would love flash support. Love Nokia phones have previously served me well: great features, strong and sturdy.

G

Colorful. They should rip off the old iMac adds when Apple was saying black white and beige was boring.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Who cares if Lumia is Spanish for Prostitute? It's very fitting... Nokia got paid good money to have another guy (Mango) inside her. The whore!

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]petercl[/nom]Nice, in spanish lumia=prostitute[/citation]

Perhaps it means prostitute as in "You buy this and it will serve you."

nik12937

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]First thing I noticed is that it not have round corners like all the copy cat phones out there, but I am sure that will come at a price when people loose the phones after repeatedly putting them in their pockets so that holes get cut in the pockets. Nothing like holy pockets to loose stuff when walking around.[/citation]

Yes because back in the days of the RAZR people were constantly complaining about their pockets being ravaged by their "non-rounded" phone.

Ok buddy

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]techy74[/nom]This is great news. I love Win 7, but would love flash support. Love Nokia phones have previously served me well: great features, strong and sturdy.[/citation]
You're very naive. Windows Phone 7 IS NOT windows 7 nor Windows Mobile. Microsoft deliberatly confuses ppl into buying their phone as on one hand they believe it's the successor to Windows Moble (it isn't, it's incompatible) and on the other it uses a similar naming convention as their desktop OS to make ppl believe it'll comunicate better with their windows desktop PC's (running windows 7).

It's all a big scam. It has less features than ANY other mobile phone OS out there (including their own Windows Mobile) and has only good looks but NO substance. If it wasn't for Nokia they wouldn't even have decent navigation software. Which is in fact the ONLY reason for M$ to go to bed with Nokia. Nokia OWNS NavTeq!!!!! And NavTeq navigation is the ONLY differentiator for Nokia to (try to) sell Windows Phone 7 OS devices.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]You're very naive. Windows Phone 7 IS NOT windows 7 nor Windows Mobile. Microsoft deliberatly confuses ppl into buying their phone as on one hand they believe it's the successor to Windows Moble (it isn't, it's incompatible) and on the other it uses a similar naming convention as their desktop OS to make ppl believe it'll comunicate better with their windows desktop PC's (running windows 7).It's all a big scam. It has less features than ANY other mobile phone OS out there (including their own Windows Mobile) and has only good looks but NO substance. If it wasn't for Nokia they wouldn't even have decent navigation software. Which is in fact the ONLY reason for M$ to go to bed with Nokia. Nokia OWNS NavTeq!!!!! And NavTeq navigation is the ONLY differentiator for Nokia to (try to) sell Windows Phone 7 OS devices.[/citation]
While I've not used a Win7 device, from those who have them, I've only heard good things. I'll kind my mind open, but I'll not likely consider one for a couple years as I have a pretty new Android HTC Thunderbolt.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
You see, that's why Nokia is slipping away; they cheap out on hardware specs, like losing the front-facing camera, in order to save a few bucks by re-using the old casing for the phone. Very "smart" move, considering how Skype is now owned by Microsoft, and likely to get integrated in next WinPhone releases. Also, the screen is smaller, and it is NOT S-amoled, like it should be for better sunlight readability.
In essence, they put out another couple of compromised phones, instead of going all guns ablaze and releasing a killer phone. That's why they have a hard time converting Android or iOS users: they are too cheap to do it right. Or too stupid; or both, IDK.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think these phones are quite a change for the better. Sure, the processor might be a 1.4GHz single-core but WP7 is nowhere as bloated and slow as Android is, so it doesn't even need such high-end hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.