Nokia Suing Apple For Infringing on Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
And in the "10 years before the iPhone"... the awesome Nokia products that have such features in their phone and media players are the.... uh, wait. They have no state-of-the art phones, at least until they build their Windows7 Phones.

They make some good phones, but nothing exciting in the past 5+ years.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
"Nokia is a leading innovator in technologies needed to build great mobile products and Apple must stop building its products using Nokia's proprietary innovation."

I've got news for you: unless you go Android you won't be considered a leading innovator.

Also, what? Are they suing because someone else used something that's still essential to the functioning of a phone?

Yeah, we've got a patent on the power button.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom] They have no state-of-the art phones...[/citation]
If "state of the art phone" is a "thingy with animated-menus, that needs to be charged on daily basis" then no.

If you mean sturdy phone with touchscreen, WiFi, keyboard, GPS with free maps and what not at a reasonable price (of about half of the price of the competitors) that technically could be plagued with animated menus) than you are very mistaken. C6 is its name.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Yeah, we've got a patent on the power button.[/citation]
Haha, that made my day.
The seven Nokia patents in the new complaint are allegedly being used by Apple to create key features in its products in the areas of multi-tasking operating systems, data synchronization, positioning, call quality and the use of Bluetooth accessories.
Sounds like features in nearly every cell phone out there today, so why isn't Nokia filing lawsuits against other companies as well?

Although I must say... if Nokia had all of these patents out before Apple even created the iPhone/iPad/iPod, then why didn't Nokia create similar products before Apple even released theirs? Just seems like the only reason why they care now is because they realize all of the money they could have made.

Sorry Nokia, but this going to be one of the few times I hope Apple wins.
The patent system is just out of control.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]And in the "10 years before the iPhone"... the awesome Nokia products that have such features in their phone and media players are the.... uh, wait. They have no state-of-the art phones, at least until they build their Windows7 Phones.They make some good phones, but nothing exciting in the past 5+ years.[/citation]

Lol what? Before the iPhone arrived Nokia were THE phone company, nobody else could touch them, they dominated the market in the late 90's and first half of the 2000's. The 5110, the 3510i, the communicator, the E series, the N series, the matrix phone the list goes on.

G

Poor little Nokia. They've been irrelevant in the smart phone category for 2 - 3 years now. They had plenty of opportunity to get it right. I alway used Nokias but that's past tense! If they had al those patents I wonder why they could get it together enough to come out with a competitive phone. They are like the wagon maker at the beginning of last century accusing Rolls Royce of stealing all their ideas. Good bye Nokia!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]And in the "10 years before the iPhone"... the awesome Nokia products that have such features in their phone and media players are the.... uh, wait. They have no state-of-the art phones, at least until they build their Windows7 Phones.They make some good phones, but nothing exciting in the past 5+ years.[/citation]
Hardware wise, Nokia have always been at the forefront of the tech curve, it's just the lacklustre OS they used which had such a negative impact.

Even today there aren't many people who could argue they don't have the best camera on the market, the optics and lenses are first rate.

[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]if Nokia had all of these patents out before Apple even created the iPhone/iPad/iPod, then why didn't Nokia create similar products before Apple even released theirs?[/citation]

Because having the patent and then implementing it into hardware cannot be done at the click of a finger, the hardware arms at Nokia were in management chaos before Elop joined and just because they didn't put the hardware on the market first does not give someone else the right to co-opt the tech and sell it first.

And before anyone uses the words "patent troll" just shut up and die right now, Nokia are a recognised "creator" of technology, they don't just sit on patents for the purpose of legal action, i'm sure they would much rather have pushed these ideas out on their own hardware when they got the manufacturing sorted out.

G

While it is true that the patent system and the justice system appear to be more or less broken.
It is also true that NOKIA actually is the inventor of most cell oriented tech to date.

It will be VERY hard for NOKIA to actually prove this infringing if this is really the case.

I like both NOKIA and APPLE, but it seems that APPLE keeps suing every single one company, and I haven't seen this behavior even remotely as much by NOKIA ^^

Actually it seems more like NOKIA, like GOOGLE try to help and do a lot of selfless acts.

G

"Ok, the font is done... what's the second most stupid thing we could waste our time on? Patent trolling!"

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Calling Apple innovative is like saying the AMD Sempron is the fastest CPU on the market, it's just not true.

Now they're going to get it from a true innovator!

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... may be nokia is the innovator, but with no vision... nokia loses everywhere... no vision or right implementation of innovative tech... and patents sux anyway... no one can improve an existing tech until they buy the patent... the patent system slows down progress... example? GE sits on Nicola Tesla patents... we would have free energy sins 1900....

Status
Not open for further replies.