Nokia Thinks You've Just Been Beta Testing Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The ads are amusing. If Microsoft makes something intuitive, responsive and has the app support behind it, I can see Windows making some strong headway into the smartphone market.

The ironic thing is, Microsoft may actually benefit because Android, which is Linux based, keeps getting more news put out about malware. So the OS whose fans claim is invulnerable to such things on the desktop and should be considered a strong alternative to Windows there, may give phone users a reason to try a Windows based phone to try to avoid such problems.

Of course no OS, no matter it be on the desktop or phone, will ever be immune to malware so Microsoft needs to make sure security is a priority from the beginning. But competition is good, so I hope they succeed.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Nokia hasn't made a decent phone since 2005[/citation]
well, the lumia 800&900 have been winning a number of design and other awards lately and at&t is making the 900 their new flagship phone

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
What an ignorant add. By that definition, we were all beta testers of every technology ever. Stuff improves and outdates current tech, that does not mean the previous product was an unfinished testing phase.

I own a WP7 (HTC HD7) and can say this unfinshed OS is not the work of beta testing phones. It lacks features which phones have had since...Well, ages, like being able to set your own ringtone, message tone, or whatever tone, and without use of some crap app.

Don't get me wrong, I love WP7 as a platform, but it doesn't exactly feel like the product of iOS and Android being a beta test. Whilst Nokia may have no control in that dept, it still makes up their phone they are claiming is the best thing since sliced bread.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
This phone better have some pretty powerful technology and features over the competitors at a fair price to recapture the attention of the mobile market.

So far it looks really great and I'm expected something great within it.

G

Of course the copy will make fun of the originator. They saved a mint on R&D and can now undercut the price, but a copy will always be just that -- a fake or copy.

badbullet

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]Lewis57[/nom]Well, ages, like being able to set your own ringtone, message tone, or whatever tone, and without use of some crap app.[/citation]

You've been able to set ring tones, personal ring tones, email tones, and text tones in WP7.5, have you not upgraded yet? The only thing I'd like is personal text tones so I know who is texting me without looking like I do with the ring tones.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i never like negative ads campaign. You get to know the defects of other products. You also end up not knowing what the advertiser's product is strong at. They just want you to assume things. Like if you break your phone they can sell another phone. Will you buy the same crap again from the same company?

G

Garbage phones, lol. Have you owned some Nokia? They have the best made phones, they were not number 1 phone manufacturer for so many years just on their name you know. People are so ignorant. I have owned many phones, but Nokia have always made best quality phones. Currently I own n8 and its best phone I have ever own. Don't just talk trash, just cause you have read something.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
[citation][nom]goatsetung[/nom]Make fun of your customers, great strategy. How about: fuck you.[/citation]
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]@goatsetung. Was that really called for? Additionally, if you own an iPhone, odds are that you aren't a current Nokia customer...[/citation]

@goatsetung - Yea...I just had a nice laugh watching these vids. Why would you be so serious about this?

Just gonna say, before I owned my cheap Android (Motorolla) smartphone, I owned 2 Nokia phones (dumbphones...albeit the 2nd one was more powerful than the original iPhone when it came out). Those 2 Nokia phone's were like tanks. I would show my friends how durable they were by just dropping them onto the concrete ground. A couple scratches after a while - but no cracked screen or anything. Plus, I even threw them across the room in a rage sometimes - only the battery cover ever popped off. Popped right back on like nothing ever happened. Ah, the good old days of "durable" phones. Glad Nokia's doing something about it. Can't forget that the newer Android smartphones are pretty durable too now though.

LancerVI

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
[citation][nom]hfeshadow[/nom]The article had me up until the name Microsoft appeared. FAIL[/citation]

And that right there is what I call....FAIL. I don't care who makes what....if it's a good product, I'll buy. If not, I won't. It's that simple. Blind loyalty OR hatred of any one company is foolish. They're all in it for the cash.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]This phone better have some pretty powerful technology and features over the competitors at a fair price to recapture the attention of the mobile market.So far it looks really great and I'm expected something great within it.[/citation]
The WP platform doesn't require stupidly over the top tech to work smooth as silk. Ever wondered why android devices pretty much all have dual (sometimes quad) core processors? Its because the OS is such a badly integrated mess that is NEEDS that power just to do simple things. iOS and WP are far better written systems that make perfect use of their chips compared to android that has the dubious honor of having the fastest chips because the OS is a botched hodgepodge of non-optimized tech google stole/borrowed from many developers.
A single core 1Ghz WP7 device runs most things far faster and smoother than many of the latest dual core and multi-Ghz offerings sporting android.

Status
Not open for further replies.