Nokia's Next Gen Phone: 12MP Cam, 720p, HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandrah

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
X: targeting youth, entertainment.
E: business focused.

The C3-00 is multitasking S40 aimed at the younger crowd.
The C5-01 will be Nokia's latest BlackBerry challenger

Umm, looks like they got bored with their naming convetion pretty fast, shouldn't those be the X3-00 and E5-01?

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I can't imagine the noise output from that tiny 12MP sensor, let alone the "lens". I guess the more Emm Pees you have the better, right? I have have a 10MP DSLR with an APS-C sized CCD sensor and I wouldn't want too many more MP on that same sized sensor. I despise the misconception that more MP = quality.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]I can't imagine the noise output from that tiny 12MP sensor, let alone the "lens". I guess the more Emm Pees you have the better, right? I have have a 10MP DSLR with an APS-C sized CCD sensor and I wouldn't want too many more MP on that same sized sensor. I despise the misconception that more MP = quality.[/citation]

No no no, you're missing the point.

People don't care about the image quality when they are buying a phone.

It's not more MP = quality,

It's more MP = More bragging rights.

If people realized how large an image even an 8MP camera can produce, they would realize it's the lense that matters.
But when people buy technology, they look at the numbers.

More GHz, more MB, more MP, etc.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
A camera like a telescope is a light bucket, if you want clear sharp images you need more than high Mega-Pixels, you need a wide aperture and good compound optics, that just isn't going to be possible with a cell phone and no amount of image processing software will correct for information that just isn't captured in the first place. I'd say above 3.2MP it's a waste on a cell phone.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Pay attention Apple[/citation]
Unfortunately i don't think a 12MP camera is going to derail iphone 4g this summer...
(or whatever apple calls the next gen)

Love it or hate it Iphone is crushing everyone... just like the Wii in consoles.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Some people are a joke.

It is NOT a CAMERA! It IS a PHONE that can take PICTURES!

All you are doing is slagging off the phones before they have even been released and tried and you have nothing constructive to say. What would you suggest the manufacturers do? State that '5MP... T-T-T-Thats all folks!'?

My N73 has a 3.2MP camera and I was well chuffed with it. Not because it could take photography class pictures, but because it was good enough to take pictures that were... well... good enough. The amount of MP's the camera within the phone produces is not a deal breaker and I am more than happy with the current 5MP range, but if they want offer more, then so be it. Its not going to make the pictures worse.

As for the N8.00, I do hope they follow the roots of the N900 with Maemo as that does support AVI files. If they leave that out I would be amazed, although as the Symbian 3 OS is due to be fully open source maybe a third party will support it. I think I may wait a few months now and see... especially as contracts now run into the 2 years mark.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Unfortunately i don't think a 12MP camera is going to derail iphone 4g this summer... (or whatever apple calls the next gen)Love it or hate it Iphone is crushing everyone... just like the Wii in consoles.[/citation]

Maybe not, but just because something sells more does not mean it is a better product. If I got a phone tomorrow it would not be the iPhone, not even close, but the N900.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
you can improve physical appearance, but user friendliness should be priority. you may have nice features, but you may not have a right tool to utilize it the way you want

cammmy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
"3.2-inch multitouch display, a 12 megapixel camera, 720p video at 30fps, and HDMI out. There's also a murmur about Divx support but that's not confirmed yet"

Sound like features of Tegra?

Status
Not open for further replies.