Non-EFIGA Territories May Get WP7 Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
It's speculated that the company will eventually invest in localized servers/infrastructures outside the EFIGS market, but that may actually depend on consumer demand.

If those services are left out/limited, why would I buy a WP7 phone? I think this goes for a lot of people. The demand will be low --> they won't invest in localized infrastructures --> demand will stay low... ergo... fail in non EFIGS markets.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
English, French, Italian, German, or Spanish.
So that's all of North America, South America, Europe and Australia.

That cover 2 of the 3 biggest cell markets in the world.
Not bad for launch day - China, Russia & Japan will have to wait.

G

This smells of Beta ware. I think MS needs to get this out the door before Android gains more ground (and probably to make it readily available for the holiday season and maybe thanksgiving in the US). They basic cored the OS to limit scope so the Win 7 Phone project gets out the door ASAP. Sad if this does not catch on or if customers are forced to use a half baked OS until MS has a chance to finish all the features. If this phone does not catch on in certain countries I hope those users will not have a crippled OS indefinitely.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]English, French, Italian, German, or Spanish.So that's all of North America, South America, Europe and Australia.That cover 2 of the 3 biggest cell markets in the world.Not bad for launch day - China, Russia & Japan will have to wait.[/citation]
Sorry but in Europe there are way more language than English, French, Italian, German and Spanish. I speak Portuguese for example. Here's a list of the spoken languages in Europe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Europe

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Sorry but in Europe there are way more language than English, French, Italian, German and Spanish. I speak Portuguese for example. Here's a list of the spoken languages in Europe:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Europe[/citation]
Yes thank you Mr Wikipedia
Those listed primary languages account for around 1.2 billion people as a primary or native language.
The point I was trying to make is that these 5 languages alone in their native areas account for the highest concentration of non-Chinese consumers and are also the highest in uptake of the smartphone market.

It's a real shame that Portugese isn't afforded the same level of importance as Italian with 70 million speakers, especially as 3 times as many people speak it at 240 million - but seeing as only 10 million of those are in Portugal it has to be considered a minority language in the European marketplace.

Same as they are not going to spend a fortune supporting a Welsh language option as less than a million people in the whole world speak it and most of those speak English as well.

It's just business, when WP7 takes off they can work on minority languages at a later stage.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Good point, if someone told me that WP7 was bing delayed because they were still working on getting language variants for Esperanto or Aborigine I would blow a gasket.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]Good point, if someone told me that WP7 was bing delayed because they were still working on getting language variants for Esperanto or Aborigine I would blow a gasket.[/citation]
bojkoti tiu cxi portebla telefoneto!!!

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Sounds like they aren't so sure this thing will be a world wide phenomenon and going for safe markets. So much for the death of the iPhone and Blackberry which Microsoft wants to predict.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Yes thank you Mr WikipediaThose listed primary languages account for around 1.2 billion people as a primary or native language.The point I was trying to make is that these 5 languages alone in their native areas account for the highest concentration of non-Chinese consumers and are also the highest in uptake of the smartphone market.It's a real shame that Portugese isn't afforded the same level of importance as Italian with 70 million speakers, especially as 3 times as many people speak it at 240 million - but seeing as only 10 million of those are in Portugal it has to be considered a minority language in the European marketplace.Same as they are not going to spend a fortune supporting a Welsh language option as less than a million people in the whole world speak it and most of those speak English as well.It's just business, when WP7 takes off they can work on minority languages at a later stage.[/citation]
So they can do it with a much complex OS like the Windows 7 but are unable to do it for WP7? Also isn't the WMP7 also launching in South America? What about Brazil and it's more than 192 million inhabitants? Are they also being left out? Sorry but this is lame. I was thinking about buying a WP7. But if I'm going to pay for half a product I certainly won't buy it and hope that Microsoft fix this.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I'm going to pay for half a product I certainly won't buy it and hope that Microsoft fix this.[/citation]

You are not buying a phone because it doesn't support 300 other languages you are NOT fluent in? Or is your native language one that is missing from WP7?

As long as you use one of the supported languages you should have no problem. This phone leaves does leave out most of Asia and the Middle East and seems to be targeted towards Europe and North America. Seems like a pretty poor launch compared to the likes of iPhone and Android.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Yes thank you Mr WikipediaThose listed primary languages account for around 1.2 billion people as a primary or native language.The point I was trying to make is that these 5 languages alone in their native areas account for the highest concentration of non-Chinese consumers and are also the highest in uptake of the smartphone market.It's a real shame that Portugese isn't afforded the same level of importance as Italian with 70 million speakers, especially as 3 times as many people speak it at 240 million - but seeing as only 10 million of those are in Portugal it has to be considered a minority language in the European marketplace.Same as they are not going to spend a fortune supporting a Welsh language option as less than a million people in the whole world speak it and most of those speak English as well.It's just business, when WP7 takes off they can work on minority languages at a later stage.[/citation]

That's not the point. The point is that you shouldn't call 3-4 countries - Europe :D It's not Europe.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]Sounds like they aren't so sure this thing will be a world wide phenomenon and going for safe markets. So much for the death of the iPhone and Blackberry which Microsoft wants to predict.[/citation]
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]Sounds like they aren't so sure this thing will be a world wide phenomenon and going for safe markets. So much for the death of the iPhone and Blackberry which Microsoft wants to predict.[/citation]

No, it's just half-baked unfinished product lucking lots of features, etc. I guess they are too late and are rushing it. I guess they'll start pouring out updates very fast after release.

In its current form the phone is not a liable choice for business users at all. It is missing important business features.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]plznote[/nom]Hey Kevin,The Title is messed up it says EFIGA instead of EFIGSCorrect me if I'm wrong![/citation]

EFAGS you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.