Non-Gaming College Laptop

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Hello! I'm going off to college soon!

I'm planning to bring a desktop and a laptop to college. The desktop for gaming, and laptop for work.

With my laptop, I will be doing: Microsoft Word, Excel, surfing web, email, online homework, Netflix, YouTube. But I need my laptop to be quiet, cool(not hot), and fast.

With my desktop, I will be doing everything I do with the laptop, plus gaming. I plan to use the desktop more heavily as I can have a bigger monitor and it will make things easier to use.

I plan to get a portable, reliable, fast external hard drive so that I have contents from both my laptop and desktop in one place.

So my question is twofold:
1) Do you think my plan is solid? From experience, do you suggest any alternatives to my plan?

2) What kind of laptop am I looking for?

Thank you guys!

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

Thank you for your answer!

I have no experience with Windows 8 or a touchscreen. I can install Windows 7, but for work purposes I'm not sure how useful the touchscreen will be.

1) Wouldn't laptop being a touchscreen make it more expensive?
2) Do you have any alternative suggestions on laptops without touchscreen?
3) How did you come up with this suggestion (so that I can search around too)?
-Did you search around amazon with the following specs: CPU, RAM, SSD/storage, Display, Weight, Battery life?
4) What does Hybrid SSD mean?

Thank you so much!

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

I see! Thank you so much for your suggestion and answers!

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

Do you think it's a good idea to wait until June/July to buy my laptop in case new models come out or if the price on the same laptop drops?

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

Hello!

Thanks for all the help! Well I was going to wait (since I'm not going to be using the laptop until school begins in October anyway), but I checked the official website, and it says "temporary unavailable," and Amazon says "only 5 left in stock."

So I'm kinda split here. This laptop seems great for me, but I don't want to buy it now and let it rust for 6-7 months. And maybe some other company could make a similar laptop? Or some company may make a better laptop for the same price in 6 months? (I heard something like every 6 months, technology can double its performance or something like that). But I don't know enough about computers to know if that'll happen.

At the same time, if there won't be any new laptops like this in the future, I don't want to miss the opportunity.

What would you do if you were me?