Solved! Norton 360 Firewall Turned off and Grayed Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrining

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I recently got a message from Windows Defender Security Center (Windows 10) that I needed to turn on the Smart Firewall for Norton 360. I thought this was odd since I had not turned it off to my knowledge. When I opened Norton 360 and tried to turn it on, the option to turn on the Smart Firewall (along with all the associated configuration tabs) was grayed out and inaccessible. Here are the steps I've taken so far:

-I ran Live Update several times, rebooting after each update, until no more updates were available. Still grayed out.

-During the last reboot it weirdly gave me a chance to turn Smart Firewall on, but a minute later it turned off again. It seemed like this occurred while the bootup process was still going and so something else may not have booted up yet.

-Uninstalled and reinstalled Norton 360. Still grayed out.

-Ran a full system scan with Norton 360, Malwarebytes, and SuperAnti Spyware Free. Only threats found were tracking cookies.

-Windows Defender Firewall is on. I don't recall if I had it on before, but I doubt I did because I didn't think the two worked well together. So I turned it off (without a reboot) but Norton Smart Firewall remained grayed out. I have since turned Windows Defender Firewall back on because I figure something is better than nothing until I can get Norton Smart Firewall turned back on.

-Searched Norton community for similar issues and it seemed unresolved.

-Throughout, Windows Defender Security Center continually tells me that Norton 360 Smart Firewall needs turned back on.

Can anyone provide me with advice? Is more info needed?

Thanks in advance.

KB

Solution
Did you buy a licence for norton 360? Usually a licence will last about 1year for this product. If it was preinstalled when the laptop or PC was bought, the licence will be limited as well, could be like 1-3 months without paying.

rebooting windows instead of shutting down can help as well. Windows will load freshly all processes and stuff

running norton with admin account and not user account or an user account with admin rights could be necessary to edit the firewall settings/installation
Did you buy a licence for norton 360? Usually a licence will last about 1year for this product. If it was preinstalled when the laptop or PC was bought, the licence will be limited as well, could be like 1-3 months without paying.

rebooting windows instead of shutting down can help as well. Windows will load freshly all processes and stuff

running norton with admin account and not user account or an user account with admin rights could be necessary to edit the firewall settings/installation

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.