Norwegian Gunman Used Modern Warfare 2 for Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
and how is that different for America Army? a game MADE to train warfare situations... *shrug*

people that are nuts will use what they can, while ppl that are "normal" can enjoy games without going out shooting people, or running people over with their car etc. etc.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
i knew MW2 was up to no good ;) but MW2 is not a simulator game. ARMA is a simulator military shooter. MW2 just teaches you how to be a tug with a gun.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Another whack job with too much time on his hands and putting a dark cloud on gaming.
I hope they wipe that smug smile off his face when they switch on old sparky.
Some judge will say he's insane and send him to some white walled motel with cable/internet and 3 hot meals a day.
Where's the justice?

Sympathies to the victim's families.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
What did I tell you before on these pages. There's always a few crazed people who can't handle these realistic games and are influenced. We must be careful with future games releases with even more realistic graphics.

G

MW2 is so lame, that this reference just so what a lunatic he was. I play MW2, Black Ops, MOH and Bad Company 2: that means that I'm a potential murderer?

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
and what about games like GTA, carmageddon, or heaven forbid: postal (look it up, its crazy, only 21+ game i know...)

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Doive1231... You really are a moron. He wasn't influenced by the game. Quite the opposite... His desire to do harm made the game something that it's not intended to be... a murder simulator. He used it in a fashion which the game's creators never envisioned or intended. The same way he turned a firearm into a device for killing innocents versus a method of self-protection. I really don't care how you try to spin it, but with the wrong intentions almost anything can be used for evil. No, you couldn't use a vehicle, kitchen knife or a brick to kill 86 people in such a short period of time, but they can (and have) been used to kill others. Should we ban all vehicles? Should we ban all sharp or blunt objects? By your logic (or lack thereof), yes.

Just for full disclosure: I own modern, high-res FPS games as well as firearms. I have never had the desire to use either for harm. I also have a crowbar, which I may send to Doive1231 so he can pry his head out of his ass.

G

He will never meet "old sparky". Most likely 21 years in jail, then free to go where he wants.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]bruker01[/nom]He will never meet "old sparky". Most likely 21 years in jail, then free to go where he wants.[/citation]
Something tells me he may have an "accident" while in prison. I doubt many inmates would look favorably on what he did and if there are any followers of Islam in the pen with him he'll be lucky to make it 21 days.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
ROFLMAO! I've been expecting this! Every time some psycho guns down people, blame it on a popular FPS... and disregard the fact that the source of the problem is in his head. I liked MW2, too, but I think I have better things to do then shooting people, lol.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... i played MW 1 and 2 in a row... it took me a weekend... and... after i played it, i know, that i don't wanna war at all... so the game is not to blame... it is to blame on sick and/or stupid people... don't wage war an games, do it on stupid people... i would say, that romantic movies are to blame for rape... let's ban romantic films...

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I use Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic to train the art of the Jedi. Then I'll take on NATO and crush all NATO forces with my lightsabre! Maybe I'll destroy some Talibans too.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I used to play Quake/Half-life/ especially Delta Force and I though I'll be as good as Rambo. I used to play Need for Speed and I thought I'll learn to drive. Then I went to the army and I started driving a car.
Games give you exactly 0 training, compared to reality.

That probably the most stupid thing I'll read today or maybe even during the entire month.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]I use Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic to train the art of the Jedi. Then I'll take on NATO and crush all NATO forces with my lightsabre! Maybe I'll destroy some Talibans too.[/citation]
The sarcasm is strong with this one...

G

Ok, we go back to the video game debate again. Thanks for bringing this matter up again. What if he played Kirby's Dream land? He would have sucked in the people? What if he played Tetris? He would have aligned the people to make them vanish? I like origami and I don't run around folding people. That guy is an idiot and should be punished properly. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.