Not a typical issue

MTCS

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hey everyone,
I don't think I have a typical issue, well, here's the story. My neighbor installer a HUGE, and I mean it Antenna, he said he's communicating with Panama, Russia.... Anyway. I started to get a feedback from his conversations on my speakers (it's an old Panasonic Home Theater connected to a PC), I can hear every word he's saying and it's damn loud. On my other computer I don't hear any feedback from the speakers, but when he's communicating my monitor freezes ( cannot move my mouse) and mouse is turning off from time to time, so I have to unplug it and then plug it back into USB port. So I told my neighbor I had this issue, he said that's he's hobby and he can't do anything about it. OK. So he said I have to put these "audio filter clamps" on all my wires, so I did. Nothing have changed. So my question to the community is, is there some kind of audio blocker or filter so I can plug it into power supply and it will block all the signals, dont know guys, what should I do ? what will you recommend ?

Your system is picking up his radio transmissions and it sounds like there is very little you can do to filter them from your electronics. He may be using an illegal amount of transmitter power or defective equipment that is leaking RF. Other people in the area are probably affected as well. If you are in the US try contacting the local Federal Communications Commission. They are responsible for this type of problem.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Very interesting. I would say to buy better insulated/coated wires, but the interference seems so strong it may getting into the circuitry itself.

You can get a frequency generator to emit random things to sabotage all his transmissions and make him hear nothing but hissing, but I'm not advocating that :) Just an idea!

MTCS

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

That is actually very interesting, any more info on these things ? I actually called FCC, they said I can file a complain, but they will only check for illegal transmitters or something, they also said it's better for me to contact the manifacturer of my speakers/monitor to find out if they have any audio filters (will have to try that option too) . Anyway, any links on those frequency generators ?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Well I was talking specifically about a generator that would cancel out the frequency that the guy is using which would still give you interference but it would make it hard for him to transmit. Theoretically it seems possible, but I never really heard/know about such a device.

I suspect it would be VERY VERY VERY Expensive.

MTCS

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Any other LEGAL stuff out there ? I just don't want to hear his conversations on my speakers. So what you are saying is, that audio filters will not work, correct ?

I would check with your neighbors and see if they are having the same problem. And then file a complaint with the FFC. You could just speak with the person again too because it is probably not your fault but he might within FCC guide lines.

Interference filters may help.

Also, I would address this topic on http://www.arrl.org/. It is a Ham radio site.