Not sure about the best way to have my headphones configured

G

So, I have a set of Logitech G430's and an MSI Gaming 5 mobo. The headphones come with a 7.1 channel USB adaptor although I'm not sure whether my mobo's sound card is 5.1 or 7.1 channel. I have 3 options. Plug the headphones in through the USB adaptor into my mobo, scrap the adaptor and go straight through the back into my mobo or plug them in through the case port which is connected to the mobo through a HD audio cable (not sure if that will bottleneck the audio as opposed to having it straight into the back of the mobo). Another side question but if I were to use the USB adaptor, would 1.0/2.0 USB ports make a difference?

Solution
USB adapter equals sound card. If you use that, it will NOT use your motherboards sound card at all.
Since the headphones have normal 3.5mm plugs for mic and audio, it means that the 7.1 support is software emulated and headphones are just normal stereo speakers.

edit: If stereo is fine for you, it doesn't matter if you plug the headphones to motherboard or case's front panel connectors.

So.. usb adapter is not necessary, you must use it (and Logitech Gaming Software) if you want 7.1 support though.

there is no real difference between 1.0 or 2.0 USB ports only difference is maximum speed they can work at, both should be capable of functioning just as well with the USB plug.

Not that MSI gaming 5 motherboard has 1.0 ports, only 2.0...

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
USB adapter equals sound card. If you use that, it will NOT use your motherboards sound card at all.
Since the headphones have normal 3.5mm plugs for mic and audio, it means that the 7.1 support is software emulated and headphones are just normal stereo speakers.

edit: If stereo is fine for you, it doesn't matter if you plug the headphones to motherboard or case's front panel connectors.

So.. usb adapter is not necessary, you must use it (and Logitech Gaming Software) if you want 7.1 support though.

there is no real difference between 1.0 or 2.0 USB ports only difference is maximum speed they can work at, both should be capable of functioning just as well with the USB plug.

Not that MSI gaming 5 motherboard has 1.0 ports, only 2.0 and 3.0 which still have same difference, maximum speed which does not matter in this case.

Solution