Notebook for industrial design

Jerry tony

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hello,
I was recommended laptop HP 8570w (LY554EA). Is this a good laptop i have know idea of electronics. As i start the course i hope to learn more.

thnx in advance

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
Contrary to popular belief, laptop computers are NOT portable desktop computers. There are many things they don't do at all or as well. If this were not so, desktop computers would already have disappeared. My advice is to check the website of the software you intend to use and compare the requirements with specs of any computer you propose to use to run that software.

Jerry tony

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Yes, the requirements is same but it needs to is be portable thats why i asks if is goods it cost 3200 euro (3.874 $ ) the laptopseller say this is the only one goods for my course i not sure so i ask if is good.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
What programs will you be using ??

Personally I bought a Netbook to use in Telecomunications & Electronics engineering and works perfectly, it sure takes longer to compile proyects than my friend's Dell ( i7xtreme) , but not that much time ( few seconds more ) to expend 1300€ instead of 260€

Jerry tony

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

Solidworks,3dsmax,maya,sketchbook pro (CAD programs) industrial design

i was thinking of BTO XBOOK 15CL46 i found it on the internet
i want to run many high performance programs (maybe at the same time)
but €3200 is very expensive :S but if its the only one then well

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Personally I'd go with netbook - cheap Notebook to create the proyect, and a desktop computer for the rendering part.

Also that desktop computer MUST HAVE a Quadro card or FirePRO, that's the kind of card you need for rendering.

Also from what I read it seems you are now starting university ??
If that's the case don't waste that amount of money until you know you will be using it's full potential, there are a lot of notebook that will do the job (slower) and way cheaper

Also remember to buy a cooling pad, any notebook will overheat while rendering.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

Actually, a standard "gaming" GPU will work fine for rendering, since the core is the exact same.
The only difference between "workstation" and "gaming" GPU's is usually more VRAM and different drivers. The Quadro/Firepro drivers optimize accuracy over speed, and have many application specific profiles. I would carefully research just what benefits you will get from buying a Quadro or Firepro card over a normal one.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Well yes any GPU should help rendering but you don't need it, you can render with your inboard graphics and your CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/quadro-fx-4800,2258-10.html

While GTX280 and Quadro4800 are being based on the same chipset Tom says

"A Quadro FX 4800 moves up to 10 times faster when running workstation applications than the GeForce GTX 280. This leads swiftly to a clear and inescapable conclusion: there's no good reason to use a GeForce graphics card for workstation applications. It just doesn't pay."

So if you are going to render graphics go Quadro or FirePro, gaming cards should work but profesional cards are "cheaper" and faster

TRENDING THREADS