Notebook for University

chiragddude

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I'll be starting my campus life in around a month so I'm looking for a med to high end notebook which'd play titles like Battlefield 3 and GTA 4 on atleast medium settings. I'll fill the questionnaire already so that it's easier for you to know what I EXACTLY want with this purchase.

1. What is your budget? - 850 +/- 100 USD (45,000-55,000 INR)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? - 15.6" OR ABOVE

3. What screen resolution do you want? - 1366x768 or above

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? - Desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need? - Not much, 2-4 hours for normal computing would be okay

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? - GTA IV (Medium), BF3 (Medium), MW3 and maybe a few other titles

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) - I'm not into graphic editing as such but I own a site so occasionally have to edit images so Photoshop should work well with it.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? - 500GB or more

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. - www.flipkart.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? - 2-3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? - DVD Combo

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. - Not brand specific but would prefer ASUS.

13. What country do you live in? - India

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. - I've picked one already which is available for around 983 USD (54.5K INR) here - http://www.flipkart.com/asus-k55vm-sx086d-3rd-generation-core-i7-8-gb-1-tb-free-dos/p/itmd7vs3cgw4twkr Suggest devices which go under that, because I'm not going over that price point

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Reminder:

For most of the laptops you cannot upgrade CPU or graphics cards in later years. You can customize the laptop when buying it but does not mean you can few years later. That means laptop might not run newer games or run new games at low res or low fps.

Also keep in mind mobile CPU does not have the same performance of desktop CPU. So mobile i7 (low voltage) might run slower than desktop i5.

chiragddude

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

Are you advising me to buy a desktop instead? If so, that can't be happening dude, because I'm going to a college that's around 2000 km from my home, so when I come back for vacations/festivals, I can by no chance be carrying a desktop with me and leaving it in the hostel won't be very safe, I think. So, I will have to sacrifice some power on the machine, but it should be not very bad if not better in comparison to a lowish-mid end desktop. And I'm not considering future-proofing this device, it's gonna be my college buddy with some power, that's all.