Notebook HDMI output displays to TV but not to my monitor

Rob_16

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016
Recently purchase an MSI GP62 2QE-097US notebook that runs Windows 10. When attempting to use the HDMI output it does not seem to detect the monitor I have been using for years. The monitor has been tested with my desktop unit that I still have and it works perfectly fine. The odd part is that the laptop will output to a 40" HDTV that I have in the living room. I have tried to search for the issue and have not found a similar problem though I just may be missing the topic somewhere. I have updated my graphics drivers, windows updates, intel drivers and flashed my bios to the newest version and have had no luck. At this point I've hit a wall and am not sure the solution for this issue. The TV is a 40" Panasonic LCD and the monitor is an Asus ML239 23.6" monitor.

Hi,

It could be the resolution of your laptop being too high for the Asus Monitor. Try to lower down the resolution of your laptop until it match the Asus Monitor. The Asus Monitor will support 1920x1080 according to its technical specification.

Here's the technical specification of the Asus Monitor for your reference.
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ML239H/specifications/

If these doesn't work do try to uninstall/reinstall the latest graphics driver of your laptop.
- In Device Manager uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Check Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA.
- Next is to download and install the latest graphics driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your laptop for all the changes to take effect.
- Test it again after the reboot.

Rob_16

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016

Thanks for the reply. I tried uninstalling the drivers completely and reinstalling them from scratch using the newest nvidia drivers and still the same problem. I also tried changing the display resolution to a bunch of settings and no luck. Both the laptop display and the monitor/tv run at 1080P so the resolution should not be an issue. I thought maybe trying to change the refresh rate might help but the intel graphics control panel doesn't let me make that change. It just says "The custom resolution exceeds bandwidth capacity".

The monitor does not detect anywhere within windows 10 including in the device manager.