Notebook/Tablet for College note taking

derekc5475

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I'm looking for a light weight, small, SSD/or SSD upgradable notebook/tablet that can fit my needs.

I want the combination of an iPad + Laptop.

I want the feel of the keyboard when i type the notes, but I also want to be able to draw graphs/pictures with a stylus pen.

Any suggestions? Price is not an issue.

Solution
im getting myself a surface rt (first generation the old one) for very little
not too worried about the new tablets, just need something to carry around

there are lots of information about ARM and x86 just google around
long story short, ARM is an architecture used usually for OSes meant for mobile like tablets or smartphones (iOS, Windows RT, Android...)
x86 is what you see on the usual desktop computer (Windows 7, 8... Mac OS....)
what runs on x86 WILL NOT run on ARM and what was programmed for ARM will NOT work on x86
so if by occasional gaming you mean like Civilization, League of Legends, Elder Scrolls, Battlefield and such they are for x86 and not ARM
if you want gaming your much better off with an laptop than a tablet (although...

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Microsoft Surface 2 Pro
comes with dedicated stylus and you can buy the type cover instead of the touch cover
or just wait for the docking station they are releasing sometime at the end of the year

derekc5475

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I know I said that price is not an issue, but is there a diff between the surface 2 pro and a regular touch screen laptop (Speed/precision with stylus)? I found a lot of touch screen laptops @ ~$500 range. I will probably be using microsoft one note (Unless anyone knows anything better?).

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
only difference would be that the touch screen laptop has a keyboard attached that cannot be removed so it adds weight
both should perform around the same if they have similar specs, but surface 2 pro will probably have a lot more accessories
if instead you prefer a more affordable option there is the surface 2 but the os is based on the ARM architecture instead of the x86
the advantage is that surface 2 comes with office rt installed

derekc5475

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I been doing some research and I found a VERY good deal for a surface pro + keyboard attachment.

I was about to pull the trigger until I read about the "surface 2" you were talking about.

Where can I find more information regarding the ARM vs x86.

I just want to be able to run a program where I can type notes + draw figures for notes.

And occasionally some light gaming.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
im getting myself a surface rt (first generation the old one) for very little
not too worried about the new tablets, just need something to carry around

there are lots of information about ARM and x86 just google around
long story short, ARM is an architecture used usually for OSes meant for mobile like tablets or smartphones (iOS, Windows RT, Android...)
x86 is what you see on the usual desktop computer (Windows 7, 8... Mac OS....)
what runs on x86 WILL NOT run on ARM and what was programmed for ARM will NOT work on x86
so if by occasional gaming you mean like Civilization, League of Legends, Elder Scrolls, Battlefield and such they are for x86 and not ARM
if you want gaming your much better off with an laptop than a tablet (although i think its kind of silly to play demanding games on something other than a desktop)

for drawing and making notes i recommend the surface tablets
but as a note... i know university students who bought the Surface Pro and never used the stylus
some even forgot they had one because they rarely used it

Solution

derekc5475

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I have a dedicated computer for gaming, but sometimes my buddy comes over so I would just like to have something as a small back up.

As for the notes, I was really interested because I need to draw a lot figures in my chem classes so thats where the stylus comes into play.

Anyways I appreciate the help- Thanks!