NovaBackup can't do full image backup w/o DR Image Backup & Restore??

verok

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
I'm going insane trying to chose a new backup software. I'm entirely willing to pay good money for the right package, but I'm having difficulty finding recent reviews that aren't obvious shillings for this SW pack or another. Clearly PR companies use these boards to pitch their product as impartial advice...(yes, I'm talking to you, Acronis!!)

My latest try (after hearing one too many horror stories from Acronis) is NovaBackup. I installed the trial version and tried my first backup. It went OK, but then, looking at the guide more carefully, I realized that to do a full system recovery you have to follow an entirely different procedure, crating a special recovery backup where you specify each and every program file & driver that you want to include in the backup! Whaaaatt??

Eh...then, how the "full system backup" I just did is not a full disk image? How is this "full backup" different from a "file only" backup, a.k.a. copy function?
I find the instructions in their utility "DR image Backup & Restore) for "how to use Window's AIK to create a PE boot image" beyond my technical expertise level. Sure, I can try, but tinkering w/this AIK thing doesn't seem like a safe way to backup up my data reliably.

I have been using Retrospect for many years and, in general, I was pleased with it's performance, but lately it has giving me trouble reading it's own catalogs (list of backup contents) and when I rebuilt them, the software did a very crappy job of recovering data. Besides, I wanted the ability to give backup a lower priority, so my family can still use their computers while the backup is running.

If you have a sw recommendation based on your own experience, please share it!!