ntoskrnl.exe causing BSOD

Blueboa96

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
Hello, I have recently bought a laptop from Dell and everytime I start up a game it crashes saying Driver_Power_State_Failure. I have done some research about it and have found my dump file is pointing to ntoskrnl.exe. It scares me cause I don't want it to be my RAM. Here is a part from my dump file:

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Windows 8 Kernel Version 9600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 9600.17668.amd64fre.winblue_r8.150127-1500
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff802`d1a86000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff802`d1d5f250
Debug session time: Thu Apr 9 21:56:25.052 2015 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:04:01.957

Also my system info in case you need it is:

Dell Inspiron 17 7000 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500 CPU @ GHz x2
Graphics cards: Nvidia GeForce 845m 2gb and Intel HD Graphics 5500

Solution
I would be looking for corrupted windows files. Generally the windows debugger does not complain about nooskrnl.exe unless it has be hacked or corrupted.

Your system up time of 4 second my indicate that the system rebooted because of a power problem.

Generally a driver power state failure indicates that a driver failed to respond when told to wake up or go to sleep.
very common problem for hardware produced during the windows 7 timeframe. Noramally, you have to update the BIOS, and the driver in question or disable power management options for the device. (prevent the device from going to sleep if you can figure out what the device is)

if you put the memory .dmp file on a server with public access, post a link I might be able to...

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I would be looking for corrupted windows files. Generally the windows debugger does not complain about nooskrnl.exe unless it has be hacked or corrupted.

Your system up time of 4 second my indicate that the system rebooted because of a power problem.

Generally a driver power state failure indicates that a driver failed to respond when told to wake up or go to sleep.
very common problem for hardware produced during the windows 7 timeframe. Noramally, you have to update the BIOS, and the driver in question or disable power management options for the device. (prevent the device from going to sleep if you can figure out what the device is)

if you put the memory .dmp file on a server with public access, post a link I might be able to tell you what the device that failed to wake up was. Otherwise just go to dell and update all the various drivers for your laptop.
update the BIOS also if you can.

This problem is not likely to be RAM related

Solution

Blueboa96

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
I apologize for taking so long to respond. Everytime i get on Dell's website to run a diagnostics to see what is wrong, it Blue Screens in the middle of it. I also do not know a website that I can put it on. If you could tell me a website I will post it there and put the link of it in.

Update: After trying several times I finally got it to run the diagnostics on Dells website. It came back fine after it finished, but when I went to the drivers for the Video Card it said that my Nvidia one was out of date and the Intel one was fine. After updating the Nvidia it has not crashed and I am able to start any game up fine. So as of right now it is fixed. Thanks for the help and if any problems come up I will post on this thread about it.