Review NuraLoop hands-on review: The smartest earbuds you’ve ever seen

feckman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
I have to say, as an early (and enthusiastic) adopter of the original nuraphones, I was very excited to FINALLY receive my nuraloop earbuds after over a year of waiting. I was willing to overlook the extended delays, bulky design, materials shortcuts, proprietary charging cable and tether between earbuds to get that great nuraphone sound. And oh, that sound! Unfortunately, what I received yesterday was not even a whisper of the greatness of the nuraphones. In fact, I would say for as great as the nuraphones are, the nuraloop is equally bad -- especially by comparison.

The issues with these earbuds are legion. First, and probably most important is the fit. It is, in a word, terrible. I have tried every tip, every twist, every pinch of the obtrusive hooks that are supposed to keep them seated in your ears and NOTHING works. Eventually (and fairly quickly), they lose a good seal which is the absolute key to the functionality of the entire system. Without a good seal, ANC suffers...badly. Without a good seal, comfort suffers...badly. Without a good seal, sound suffers...BADLY. And ultimately, sound is why you would tolerate all the other shortcuts and shortcomings like the proprietary (and absurdly short) charging cable, the bulk, the tether, the lack of volume, the finicky touch controls, etc.

When they are seated properly, they do sound good...but not that good. I have and enjoy Galaxy Buds+ from Samsung and, when I need ANC, Libratone Track Air+. I would not say that the nuraloop sounds "better" than either of those true wireless earbuds, even for the three minutes they stay properly seated in my ears before they start to wiggle out. Both the Samsungs and the Libratones have good sound and can achieve substantially higher volume while staying properly seated without issue. I can't even imagine using the nuraloop while exercising in any way.

Ultimately, this is one guy's experience, but I thought it was important enough to reply given how disappointed I am with the nuraloop overall. You may have a different experience. All that said, I am a huge, huge, HUGE proponent of the original nuraphones. They are as close to a revolutionary product as I have found in audio for some time. They don't just sound good, they sound incredible. It really is too bad that the nuraloop misses that mark so completely. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020
Waited 7 months and payed £200 for these earphones. Not worth it. The sound quality is exceptional, wouldn’t expect anything less after the nuraphones HOWEVER, tinny at full volume as they can’t handle high vol bass. This is if you can negotiate a good solid fit which is very difficult. I’ve changed the ear tips to try to help the fit but they still fall out or atleast the fit loosens and then low and behold they either pause your music or simply turn off automatically! Dumbest “smart” headphones. The sensitivity of the button presses is seemingly random and sporadic. I can be just adjusting the fit (which is constantly especially while walking) and barely brush the touch pad and it’ll pause etc. Very annoying. Then when I try to press play, tapping, prodding, carefully sneaking up on them and placing a finger on them. Nothing. Then suddenly it will work as you adjust the fit AGAIN. You can’t simply wear just one as the strap pulls them out the other ear, or, you can hang it with on your ear and then the “smart” headphone will turn off because the solid fit indicator kicks in. And on top of ALL of that, the Bluetooth connection is frankly crap. Kicks in and out randomly whilst listening, stutters, disconnects sometimes for no apparent reason. I really hope I just got some really poorly made ones because I wanted to love these but they are simply inconvenient. If I was to sacrifice the sound quality I could have had £15 in ear headphones that were more comfortable, more secure and less truculent and finicky. Oh and they wouldn’t fall off my shoulders when they are hung around my neck because the strap is too short. Out. 🎤

Apr 10, 2021
I like my Nuraloops but also had problems with fit and them staying in place. Comfort and use suffered as I'd refit and grind them in ear. However the additional purchase of Comply Isolation earbuds completely solved the issues and increased the ANC effectiveness 200%. And while the Comply Isolation earbuds are ther recomendation the Truegrip Pro also work and are more comfortable.
The nuraloop have the best pass through feature of any earbud I've had or tried, and that is many. I'd put these aside for a year while I tried others, and after getting the new Comply 'buds they are back in regular use.

Last edited:
Reactions: imaje
Apr 27, 2021
I like my Nuraloops but also had problems with fit and them staying in place. Comfort and use suffered as I'd refit and grind them in ear. However the additional purchase of Comply Isolation earbuds completely solved the issues and increased the ANC effectiveness 200%. And while the Comply Isolation earbuds are ther recomendation the Truegrip Pro also work and are more comfortable.
The nuraloop have the best pass through feature of any earbud I've had or tried, and that is many. I'd put these aside for a year while I tried others, and after getting the new Comply 'buds they are back in regular use.

Which model of Isolation and Truegrip earbuds did you purchase for best results?