NV Series not powering up

kulmo1986

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
When I went to power my laptop on, I could hear the fans spin up and the power light comes on. However, the screen stays blank, and I can tell from the media bar at the top that it hasn't simply booted up and the display is broke.

I got a POST tester and the code that I'm getting is a blinking 01 followed by a solid on FF. The BIOS is Phoenix, and as far as I can tell that indicates CPU.

However, I powered it off and back on with the tester in and suddenly it came on just fine. Once booted up, nothing appeared to be wrong, and there was no viruses found in the boot time scan.

I thought something may have been wrong with the power button as I had a cheap PC case power button get stuck a long time ago and it caused a looping somewhat similar to this.

I took the laptop apart completely and found no loose connections or parts anywhere. Upon reassembly it is still doing the same thing. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Hi :)

Sometimes these sort of weird things just happen for no obvious reason.... (see my sig)

Come back for more help if it happens again :)

All the best Brett :)

kulmo1986

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I believe I have found the problem, someone mentioned that they had a USB port that was shorted and they were having an almost identical problem. My first thought was they were crazy, but then I realized that the only thing that I had done was plug that POST tester into the USB port on the side. So I went over and plugged it back in and wiggled it around a bit and turned it on a few times and one of the times it actually came on instead of just cycling black screen.

The USB ports on that side are another chip separate from the motherboard that are just wired over there. So I'm going to try to play with that and see if I can fix this.

sucedaneo

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

Can you tell us the result of disconnect the USB ports? i would like to know more

kulmo1986

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Sorry it took so long to reply, I finally got around to testing this today though. The USB was a separate chip on the side. However, after I opened it up and disconnected that chip the computer was still not turning on correctly. All I get it the fan powering on and the power light, then nothing more. I was really surprised by this since it turned on both times after I was messing with that USB port.

I did notice some odd behavior when I got it to boot up the other day, like flickering from tab to tab, window to window. So it may very well be the CPU itself as the POST code suggests.

I've seen many posts online now saying that people have had the same issue. I managed to find one person that said they took it to a repair shop who managed to fix it for about two weeks. Unfortunately all the were able to provide was, "The shop said the reseated something." The reseating comment also leads me to believe it's the CPU.