NVIDIA Card Display Problem - T420i, Win7, 64 bit.

mjlice10

Commendable
May 1, 2016
I have a Lenovo T420i Window 7 64 Bit ThinkPad.

Recently my Action Center indicated a problem with the NVIDIA Graphic Driver (NVS 4200M card) Also, have noticed upon relaunching from hibernation, after a few minutes, the screen occasionally goes dark, except for the toolbar. No response to cursor movements. It takes a few minutes to come back so thought it was overload on CPU or memory.

When I ran Action Center, it said "Solution could not be downloaded". So I went to the Lenovo site which has the latest driver as 9.18.13.1269 and with a 2013 release date. However, checking my Device Driver Manager, I have version 10.18.13.5445 which was timestamped Nov 2015.

Anyone know what is the true latest driver? Anyone experience this problem and if so any recommended solution? Thanks, Marshall

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that I suggested to others that had the same problem that may help.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot, do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

mjlice10

Commendable
May 1, 2016

mjlice10

Commendable
May 1, 2016

mjlice10: Thank you for your suggestion. Before I do this, it seems you may be implying that the version of the driver I have (10.18) will be de-installed and when I do a re-install I will likely get the (9.18) version, correct? I have not had any trouble with the 10.18 version, until a few weeks ago...and the blacking out of the screens always occurs with the Chrome browser only..not with any other desktop application, so I am cautious to move to an earlier version. It would be great to know if the 10.18 version was "pulled" post release and if indeed that is the source of the problem? Do you still recommend your solution?