Nvidia GeForce Now Ultimate could end the era of high-end gaming PCs — here’s why

Status
Not open for further replies.

geof2001

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
When your internet goes out cause the power company took down the grid by their distribution hub have fun with this. I'll still be playing lag free in the meantime on my PC.

Firestone

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
So, that sounds promising, however, 20.00 per month could be used to purchase that video card and other hardware over time. Am I wrong?
A video card is useless without a computer. Why even bother buying a PC in the first place when you can just stream your games directly to your TV. At $20/month it will still take you 40 months to break even on a cheap $800 gaming PC and the GeForce Now will likely have better graphical results anyway the entire time.

It's not just about replacing video cards, it's about making PC gaming entirely obsolete

Firestone

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
When your internet goes out cause the power company took down the grid by their distribution hub have fun with this. I'll still be playing lag free in the meantime on my PC.
I don't think I've ever experienced an "internet outage" in my entire life. Why would you even think this is something that would happen? Far more likely to have a power outage, in which case your gaming PC will be equally useless and you can just read a book instead.

Feb 3, 2023
I don't think I've ever experienced an "internet outage" in my entire life. Why would you even think this is something that would happen? Far more likely to have a power outage, in which case your gaming PC will be equally useless and you can just read a book instead.
You must have lived a very short life so far, then. "Never experienced an internet outage" 😂

doombadger

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2013
Let's get a few things straight, shall we.

You don't have 1TB fibre. No one does. You have a gigabit and despite having a gigabit it's still not fast enough to handle cloud gaming with an acceptable amount of latency. Why is this? Well it's simple really. No matter how much Nvidia pay you to write this clearly sponsored content that you'll make residuals off of through your affiliate links, it'll never be enough money to overcome the laws of physics.

Cloud gaming will always have latency. It will never compare to running on local hardware. You could live next door to the data centre and it would still be noticeable.

You seem to forget that the core demographic or your readership are technically competent and know these things. Perhaps you should try writing for the Daily Mail.

Sep 15, 2023
A video card is useless without a computer. Why even bother buying a PC in the first place when you can just stream your games directly to your TV. At $20/month it will still take you 40 months to break even on a cheap $800 gaming PC and the GeForce Now will likely have better graphical results anyway the entire time.

It's not just about replacing video cards, it's about making PC gaming entirely obsolete
40 months at $800? Might as well get a console, then at least you'd have less latency. But why don't you get a console? And is that even a question I should be asking here?

Sep 15, 2023
You must have lived a very short life so far, then. "Never experienced an internet outage" 😂
I've never had an ISP outage either but thats because I have fiber optic in one of the densest tech hubs in the world. Ashburn VA is walking distance for me and DC is biking distance.

Sep 15, 2023
Yeah sure, if you happen to live literally on top of the server. I live in a location where these services are always far away. Plus I've used them and honestly, even at <50 ping, input lag, visual artifacts, and freezes are immersion breaking at the best, or making the game almost unplayable at the worst.

Plus, the subscription fee can buy you a decent gaming pc over a year.

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Nvidia created a gateway to PC gaming for the console gamer. The current brute forced computing approach to game development helps their cause. While there are options like 21 months no interest rate credit cards that you can own the hardware and then sell that hardware for eg. the cheapest 7900xtx is selling for $939 will cost $44 per month x 21 months, the 4080 at $1094 will go for $52 x 21 months and the 4090 can be yours for $75 monthly x 21 months.
Although if you take the penalty of the cloud for competitive gaming for the maximum k/d ratio advantage even the 7900xt selling currently for $779 can be yours at $37 per month x 21 months.
Hey who doesn't want to have their head shot the maximum times with cloud gaming? For everyone else that wants maximum heads hots you definitely need local hardware baby! Questions?
Pricing is based on Pcpartpicker website fyi.

Sep 15, 2023
Nvidia created a gateway to PC gaming for the console gamer. The current brute forced computing approach to game development helps their cause. While there are options like 21 months no interest rate credit cards that you can own the hardware and then sell that hardware for eg. the cheapest 7900xtx is selling for $939 will cost $44 per month x 21 months, the 4080 at $1094 will go for $52 x 21 months and the 4090 can be yours for $75 monthly x 21 months.
Although if you take the penalty of the cloud for competitive gaming for the maximum k/d ratio advantage even the 7900xt selling currently for $779 can be yours at $37 per month x 21 months.
Hey who doesn't want to have their head shot the maximum times with cloud gaming? For everyone else that wants maximum heads hots you definitely need local hardware baby! Questions?
Pricing is based on Pcpartpicker website fyi.
Bro, that's a LOT of numbers and math. Summarize it for me: are you saying cloud gaming is good or bad? 😁

Sep 15, 2023
Let's get a few things straight, shall we.

You don't have 1TB fibre. No one does. You have a gigabit and despite having a gigabit it's still not fast enough to handle cloud gaming with an acceptable amount of latency. Why is this? Well it's simple really. No matter how much Nvidia pay you to write this clearly sponsored content that you'll make residuals off of through your affiliate links, it'll never be enough money to overcome the laws of physics.

Cloud gaming will always have latency. It will never compare to running on local hardware. You could live next door to the data centre and it would still be noticeable.

You seem to forget that the core demographic or your readership are technically competent and know these things. Perhaps you should try writing for the Daily Mail.
I bet one day, they'll add an AI predictor module to games. It learns your level and accuracy, and predicts where you'll aim and if you will hit the target.

In this way, you can play fast moving games with a 100ms latency connection. It'll be loads of fun, I promise! And no one will try to write a mod that overrides the AI, giving you perfect accuracy!

Status
Not open for further replies.