News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 design just leaked — and we have bad news

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Definitely ugly, and where are the heatpipes hiding? Also having the fan placement like that could mess up case air flow. I setup my fans and their speed to obviously meet thermal needs but try to keep the air from getting turbulent so that it gets where it's needed.

Having a fan on the bottom and one on the top is going to change airflow in the case and create turbulent air where you don't want it. That might not be as important to some but it is to me.

I'll likely buy an aib card anyways as they usually have better, quieter cooling solutions and better VRM's.

I'm also not a fan of the potential of a 3090... nVidia never reveals their entire product stack and I would want a card below a Titan but only a single notch below. If I were to buy a 3080ti to replace my 2080ti only for a 3090 to come out a few months later I'd be pissed and rightly so considering nVidia raises their prices with every generation of cards and has since AMD was competitive at the high end with the 290x and 295x.

Had they come out with a 2080ti super a couple months after the 2080 super I would have been angry about that too. They need to say ok here are our top 2 consumer cards, you can buy them safely knowing we won't suddenly have a better version for the same price or less in a couple months.

But back on topic and aside from airflow issues...I agree, these are ugly.

Jun 9, 2020
Slow news day?

Why does this matter? Can we get past point of video cards "LoOk aT mE I'm A GaMeR" stage with 100 lumens of random RGB lights going off in every direction like some bad acid trip. My PC isn't a fashion show. All PC hardware looks like crap, it's not like this junk is hanging in the Louvre. Can we ever go back to a clean design? I prefer this over the stuff that's plaguing the 2000 series cards any day of the week. Asus being one of the worst ones with all their ridiculous designs. Does everything need to light up and let all the ants in your grandmas basement know that you're a badass gamer?

lol @ turbulent air. Bruh this ain't a Delta Airlines flight from Chicago to LA.

akashtaker001

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
First I don't give a damn how my GPU looks if it can performs well and stays cool. This RGB everything and sleek slim design is not applicable to components inside your PC. And secondly these don't look ugly to me they look very unique and utilitarian. My aging HD 7950 has started to show its age and I can't wait for RTX 3xxx and RDNA2 to come out.

techrabbit2015

Honorable
Nov 19, 2018
Honestly, the design doesn't make it faster, and most of the times you don't have some creepy other dudes staring into your PC to make it worth it, so...

Jun 9, 2020
What a ridiculous headline, but hey, you got me to click...

No one CARES what it looks like. It could look like a giant turd but if it gives me more fps for the right price they've got my money.

Nightseer

Estimable
Jun 9, 2020
Well, if you don't like the looks, there are always partner models with classic "gamer" aesthetic. I kind of find it interesting, even if not nice looking. I really miss times when card partners actually we're doing different designs. Today they all do basically same design with bit different color and RGB scheme.

As for 3090, I guess nVidia feels like they can further milk people who want top end card. It is low volume high price market and 2080Ti has proven that consumers will just consume and eat price hikes without restrain of saying enough, we will make do with what we have and boycott you till you go back to reasonable prices. So why not try to see where there is limit, they would be crazy not do it. Plus making it 3090 makes it easier to sell the idea of price hike, since it makes people feel like they are getting more. While nVidia is just profiting more from you.