News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 is available now — but there's some bad news

Sep 17, 2020
Absolute <<snip>> show. was online and ready, refreshing page till all of a sudden all the pages i was tracking quit responding or no longer had results for the product, when they finally came back, they are all sold out.

Sep 17, 2020
They really should have put in more protection against bots. That is the only way they could have sold out so fast. I haven't read about one person being able to buy one yet. but you can already buy one on ebay for $1000.00.

meringo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Yeah. We can't compete with bots. I had my browsers fully locked and loaded for today. O well. Can't get these cards, the PS5, guh... hardware is such a hassle already, and now COVID. Maybe I'll be able to buy one late 2021.

Sep 17, 2020
They really should have put in more protection against bots. That is the only way they could have sold out so fast. I haven't read about one person being able to buy one yet. but you can already buy one on ebay for $1000.00.
Most of these are pre-order listings. Many of these people are just guys that promise to ship the product within 24hrs of them receiving it, assuming they themselves can get them.

Sep 17, 2020
Shame on Nvidia!!!
HORRIBLE Launch!
You make an effort to create a demand for cards you don't even have in any kind of real numbers.....
What should have been a blow out win for Nvidia ends up being a sour experience for Potential Buyers, many of which will now just wait for Big Navi's launch!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Shame on Nvidia!!!
HORRIBLE Launch!
You make an effort to create a demand for cards you don't even have in any kind of real numbers.....
What should have been a blow out win for Nvidia ends up being a sour experience for Potential Buyers, many of which will now just wait for Big Navi's launch!
...which will also sell out instantly. This is the nature of the market now. It happens with every major launch.

Sep 17, 2020
I was on Amazon's site from 5:55-6:45am Pacific this morning waiting out the RTX 3080's, refreshing the page every 5-20 seconds starting at 6:00:00am. At no time from 6:00:00am to 6:45:00am did Amazon even confirm they had stock at all. I had an email alert setup with Amazon involving the card I wanted that would've sent me an email the moment sales started with stock available. I never got that e-mail confirming stock and sale at all. To the author of this article I have a question: Can you confirm Amazon had any stock to begin with at all? Because I don't quite believe that they did right at this moment. That's my thought on the subject and until next time I am out!

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Did anyone else notice this article was live at least 15 mins before 6:00am PST? Which is when I read it. BEFORE launch at 6:00am PST, this article was already saying the 6:00am PST launch was live and sold out. How in the world was this article written AND published BEFORE launch?

Yes, I assume many articles across the web had been drafted to assume a sold-out scenario. But to publish that before launch? Did they already know something? Or figured it wouldn't look too bad if they had to edit it later if they were wrong? I assumed it would sell out... but that an anti-bot store front would at least let it sell out to real users and not just to bots run by scalpers.

The Nvidia RTX 3080 appears to have already sold out even though it's only just gone on sale.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 is available now — but there's some bad news : Read more

Sep 17, 2020
Yeah there is the factor you're mentioning xenon (great discovery on that one) but also here's something else concerning Amazon's stock for the cards. Courtesy of NowInStock.net. I checked that site on Amazon's listings at 6:15am and then also at 8:45am today from NowInStock.net. Amazon's entire stock was set to Out of Stock yesterday. No In Stock alert for any of Amazon's inventory was captured by that site today from last I checked at the times I mentioned. Plot thickens. There's my thought and until next time I am out!

anil_robo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Moores Law is Dead on youtube predicted this. They suggested that Nvidia will keep the inventory low at launch so the prices will go up, and then sell at higher than MSRP at the peak of holiday season.

Sep 17, 2020
I think each of the AIB's started constructing their cards in August like nVIDIA did. @anil_robo also has a good point here. The question I pose to him is if nVIDIA is going to artificially diminish stock until next year then how accurate does this statement sound to you about the scalpers future behavior towards not just the RTX 3080 but the 3090 and 3070 as well? The statement is, "Scalpers will keep buying up all restocks every time within seconds as long as they have the disposable income or financial planning to keep up with their behavior." That's what I got and until next time I am out!