Nvidia Optimus

Casper505

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
so i bought a new laptop witch have a i5 2nd gen
and 4g ram
and a nvidia optimus 1g card.
i will be gaming on this laptop
but when i installed cpuz it toled me that the gpu is a intel hd graphics 3000 (GT2+)
so what is wrong?

firo40

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
It sounds to me that you got a slightly differnt version of the laptop you thought you bought. All laptop companys make 3-5 version of the same laptop with differnt graphics chipsets. It sounds to me that you got screwed in the gpu chipset department. I dont see why you would want to game on a laptop though as they as very restricted in resources compared to an actual desktop computer. You should consider builing a really nice gaming desktop, and then use your laptop as a remote desktop controller, that way you have mobility but the power for gaming that you would like

alvine

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
these new processors include integrated graphic chip on the cpu and then you have your dedicated gpu. the laptop will switch between these two to maximize battery life

alvine

Distinguished
May 13, 2008

sir you dont know what youre talking about
you cant get nvidia optimus laptop with integrated video only. the definition of optimus is switching between two to gpu's a) maximize battery life with integrated b) maximize performance with onboard

firo40

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

No I havnt had a chance to work with optimus specifically but ive seen this happen to ppl before where they think the graphics chipset there buying is X and turns out to be Y when they get it back from the store.

firo40

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

He was being sarcastic, most ppl dont consider intergrated graphics chipsets to be graphics cards, becuase well there not

jsamari

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

cpuz can be funny when it comes to gpu info. Try installing gpuz as well, that might get you the info you need.

alvine

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
right cpuz is for Processor info, gpuz is for Graphics info :D
and if company sells you product x and gives you product y return thep roduct, thats called false advertisement

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
i guess nothing is wrong. optimus only kicks in when you launch a demanding graphics workload, such as game or applications in 3d state. when you are in optimus mode, the gpu will switching automatically to nvidia gpu with the hope for better performance (than onboard gpu). while you are in desktop or application with low graphics load, it will staying or switching back to onboard gpu (intel hd 3000) for the hope of better battery life. if you feel optimus doesnt kick in automatically, you can always force it to use nvidia gpu manually by creating application profile, from the nvidia control panel. first you need to install its driver (nvidia notebook driver) from here http://www.geforce.com/whats-new