News Nvidia RTX 3090 beastly 8K performance revealed — see it in action now

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
What's telling about these videos is that the card does exactly what Nvidia said it was built to do. It's an intro card to 8k gaming. Despite the critics comparing it to the 3080 in terms of price and 1440p/4k performance, it delivers. I've read so many reviews that slam the 24GB of memory as a waste and meant only for the professional world. Anyone who thinks this hasn't played red dead redemption 2 at max settings or any RE engine game, which clearly breaks the 10GB memory mark with max settings at 4k using a 3080.

Check out the Horizon Zero Dawn video. That game is using over 18GB of memory at 8k. I knew immediately during launch that 10GB is not enough. 24GB is going to take you through next gen titles at 4k, which I suspect will utilize around 12-16GB of memory. 8K of course will use almost all of it depending on the title.

yes 30fps isn't great, but its not much different than what most people are getting with consoles. Add a kinpin card or custom water loop at you're going to improve those rates. I'd love to see SLI supported games running two of these cards at 8k. I bet you can get 60 fps.

paul.nicolezim

Estimable
Oct 25, 2017
8k is a gimmick worse than 3D, dont let them push it. Demand higher refresh rates, 4:4:4 chroma, true 10-12 bit color HDR, high nits, etc. Stuff that matters. We do not need games that are 300GB in size for textures we will not be able to resolve any differently at the distance human beings sit from screens (even when uncomfortably close like 4 feet from a 65inch screen, try that for a day)

Unless you are 4 feet away from a 65 inch screen, you will not be able to tell the difference between 4k and 8k when gaming like you could with 1440p->4k. Its an extremely lame tactic to sell screens and gpus when we have several very important improvements we can still make that do make a difference.