News Nvidia RTX 3090 prices revealed — and they’re 3x the Xbox Series X

Sep 14, 2020
I feel like this article really missed the mark. The RTX 3090 vs consoles is not a realistic comparison. The 3090 is clearly not the next generation of the 2080 ti, it is closer to the Titan cards. Nvidia is at fault in this confusion, they are obviously trying to blur the lines between titan and their consumer cards, no doubt to push people that are on the fence to make the leap. Sure, you can game on them, and Nvidia is pushing that aspect more this generation, but these cards clearly are for more than gaming.

This article is the equivalent of a comparison between a sports car and a race car. Sure, you could drive the race car on the street, but the value of the car is in making money on the track. Comparing the price for performance between a mustang and an F1 car would be nonsense, and so is the article.

The RTX 3080 is the flagship consumer card. If we want to compare next gen consoles vs next gen PC gaming, that is the comparison that should be made.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
From a technical perspective, there's nothing different between the 3090 and the 3080 that is for commercial use only. The 3090 is not a quadro part. Sure, they may have killed the "Commercial" Titan and replaced it with the 3090, but the card is a gaming card. I also think that 24GB of memory is going to come in handy very soon and people with early 3080's will wish they had more.

Marketing Answer - Yes the 3090 is a multi-market card because of it's extreme power.
Technical Answer - The 3090 is just a faster 3080 with more memory. It's not a Quadro and it should be marketed and used in both gaming and some commercial applications, which is exactly what Nvidia is doing. The other reason they're changing things with the 3090 is because of the price. The Titan price was out of reach for the gaming market for the most part and made little sense to purchase just for gaming. The 3090 is priced right for crazy top end gaming. The 3090 is the top end of gaming, not the 3080.

Sep 14, 2020
From a technical perspective, there's nothing different between the 3090 and the 3080 that is for commercial use only. The 3090 is not a quadro part. Sure, they may have killed the "Commercial" Titan and replaced it with the 3090, but the card is a gaming card. I also think that 24GB of memory is going to come in handy very soon and people with early 3080's will wish they had more.

Marketing Answer - Yes the 3090 is a multi-market card because of it's extreme power.
Technical Answer - The 3090 is just a faster 3080 with more memory. It's not a Quadro and it should be marketed and used in both gaming and some commercial applications, which is exactly what Nvidia is doing. The other reason they're changing things with the 3090 is because of the price. The Titan price was out of reach for the gaming market for the most part and made little sense to purchase just for gaming. The 3090 is priced right for crazy top end gaming. The 3090 is the top end of gaming, not the 3080.

Hi Cirdecus, thanks for the reply. I agree that the 3090 is not a Quadro part, but neither was Titan. Nvidia themselves list the 3080 as their flagship card. The author of this article was aligning the 3090 with the 2080ti, which is not the correct comparison. If the 3090 is to be compared to a current gen card, it should be compared to a Titan RTX card. In the marketing material for the 3090, it specifically states "Titan class".

My point was, while you can certainly game on a titan, that is not its sole purpose and it is a very bad value proposition as a gaming only card. The same holds true for 3090. I know the author of this article wanted to blow everyone's minds by comparing a $500 console to a $1500 graphics card, but he might as well have compared the console to a $100,000 Tesla. You can game on both, but if you buy a Tesla to sit in your garage and play Cuphead, you should be shot :)