News Nvidia RTX 4090’s ridiculous power could leave AMD in the dust

Jul 3, 2022
Ok, I have to ask. Why does everybody seem concerned about 1000 watt computers?

Thats 1Kw an hour. On my last bill I paid $0.08 per Kw/h.

So let’s say I use the computer 2 nights a week for 3 hours. That’s 312 hours a year costing me $25 a year.

That seems inconsequential compared to the 2k+ price a 4090 will cost plus water cooling plus almost 1k for a worthy cpu + DDR5 + PCIe 5 hard drives + worthy monitors.

In short most people will probably have a 5-6k computer so $25 for power shouldn’t even register? Basically the operating cost of your computer will rise $0.04 an hour.

Jul 8, 2022

So let’s say I use the computer 2 nights a week for 3 hours. That’s 312 hours a year costing me $25 a year.

That seems inconsequential compared to the 2k+ price a 4090 will cost plus water cooling plus almost 1k for a worthy cpu + DDR5 + PCIe 5 hard drives + worthy monitors.

In short most people will probably have a 5-6k computer so $25 for power shouldn’t even register? Basically the operating cost of your computer will rise $0.04 an hour.
I fully agree with your assessment that it doesn't matter for the people who can afford such expensive gpus in the first place, but some places the kWh price soared to $0.45. It's a lot more than the peanuts you are lucky to pay

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2016

No, most people do NOT have a $5k computer. That's crazy talk. Most people have a computer in the $1k-$1500 range, if they're lucky. Many have to make do with whatever they can manage to cobble together, on an even more limited budget, even if it means buying used.