Nx7400 restart issue, even after OS fresh load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
could nto find any info on this so my last resort was to ask you guys. i have a hp compaq nx7400 laptop. the issue is that the xp load screen goes, instantly freezes, BSOD pops up but leaves so fast i cant read anything on it. took out the hard drive and checked it in my pc. couldnt find drive. placed a new drive in the laptop, then reload a fresh install of xp pro. everything installs flawlessly. once it boots it does that very fast restart.

when i turn on the laptop, im given the option to go to setup(bios) f10, or choose boot device f9. when i just let it go the choose boot device option leaves real quick. thought i give details on everything i notice. what problem could i be facing?

Solution
You can get a bad install even from a known good disc.
But the failure to load the Ubuntu OS from the CD is pointing at hardware failure.
The usual suspects: RAM / CPU / Motherboard

I don't suppose you're getting any beep codes?
Hello nolij;

You can to boot an OS without using your HDD.
If you can run an OS without the HDD, this will let you tell if the problem is still with the HDD or possibly your OS install.
If you can't run an OS from the CD/DVD drive - this will point to some other hardware fault.

You can download and burn your own Ubuntu Live CD and use that for testing.
Ubuntu Lucid Lynx LTS Choose the PC (Intel x86) desktop CD image
The CD allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all just be booting the CD.

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Ok so i have tried your method. I know its not the OS install cause i used the same disc to work on a few other PCs. Even so I have another OS disc and tested with same result. when i placed the ubuntu cd in, the system goes straight to the screen stating we apologize, blah blah, and asks which mode i want to start in blah blah. i will take out the ram chips and use one i know works from another laptop. any other reason i might be doing this? bad Mo board maybe?

You can get a bad install even from a known good disc.
But the failure to load the Ubuntu OS from the CD is pointing at hardware failure.
The usual suspects: RAM / CPU / Motherboard

I don't suppose you're getting any beep codes?

Solution

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
tested different ram so its not the ram. no beep codes or any codes what so ever. i was thinking motherboard myself. i guessing to test the cpu theory i would need another cpu, same kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.