NYC's PayPhone Kiosks to Become Free WiFi Hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Now that phone booths aren't really used anymore, it seems like cell phone users aren't nearly as private about their conversations as phone booth users use to be.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
well. if i lived in new york, i would cancel my cell plan if i could keep the phone, get skype subscription, and there i go...

granted i personaly despise cellphones and phones in general due to crappy quality in audio... would so pay 300$ for a phone with a 100$ speaker and a 100$ mic.

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Sorry NYC but you are way behind the times on this 'innovation' Loads of cities around the world did this several years ago, with their nations telecom firms wiring-in wifi antenna to street lights, traffic signals etc. either in place of telephone booths or in addition to them.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]Looks like I'll have to be the first one to think it through. I'm assuming this is going to be using IPv6 or else it could never work. Secondly, you can already get free wi-fi at any mcdonald's, burger king, etc. Thirdly, if the "city" is doing this, then that means taxpayer's money. If the citizens vote and agree they'd like to be paying for their neighbors' internet access, then by all means. Otherwise, fourth, you're just opening the city up for lawsuits for hackers utilizing their resources to perform their dirty deeds.[/citation]
First of all no, it's not the "city", so your taxes aren't touched.
And second - it would be nice of you to pay attention to the article before commenting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.