Oasis: Rock Stars Should Appreciate Music Pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
"Gallagher's words were a bit more colorful than the edited quote we provided here"

An edited quote is not a quote, it's a lie.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]"Gallagher's words were a bit more colorful than the edited quote we provided here"An edited quote is not a quote, it's a lie.[/citation]What do you care? It sounded funny regardless. I am against piracy but looking at it from a their point of view kind of makes sense except the part when they tell the big rock stars to shut the f&*k and quit moaning. So, now they are like... GO AHEAD! Download all our music for free! We don't need your money! We've already collected plenty of it!

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Wow, finally a rock star that realized his 7-8 figure income is enough!! I applaud you rational thinking Oasis, I'm not a fan, but I'm definitely gunna pirate some of your music now and see what you guys are about =D (jp on the last part)

G

As an aspiring musician, I would have zero problem with my music being pirated. Why? Because I'm out to transform music, whereas 99% of artists across all of the "big money" genres just want to get rich(and therefore just copy the style of whoever they perceive to be cool). Rap is by far the worst offending genre, as soon as anybody gets a record deal, their next 60 singles go something like: "Uh, yeah, I has money, gold-plated grill, da lambo in da garage.... etc...."

I'd rather have my vision of music played far and wide than to become rich off of it.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
It's "Quotation" people. Please, it is a pet peeve of mine when people say "here's a quote!"

Also, Artists themselves make money from concerts. Truth be told the only thing recording companies are good for are their equipment, which anyone who has been in a band knows is mostly a one time fee. Piracy can potentially harm the artist's royalties, but in order for them to really notice, they would have to be a huge band, in which case they probably go on tour and make money that way. If they don't tour, then just break up and call it quits. Seriously.

strikor

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Don't know if Liam's assertion is statistically validated. My personal opinion is that it really benefits bands at least in terms of concert tickets (which have a large share in profits of bands).
Paradoxically, the more music offer we have, the lower is the quality of music. Editors bring quality down so it is accessible to everyone (where can you find mastery of instruments technique in most popular music nowadays?)

And yes, I was an Oasis fan back in the 90s

strikor

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Don't know if Liam's assertion is statistically validated. My personal opinion is that it really benefits bands at least in terms of concert tickets (which have a large share in profits of bands).
Paradoxically, the more music offer we have, the lower is the quality of music. Editors bring quality down so it is accessible to everyone (mass marketing), while most-marketed artists tend to make simple songs for an audience used to be flooded in music. Forget about marketed artists really mastering instruments.
And yes, I was an Oasis fan back in the 90s.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
you know back in the day my friends and i would copy tapes back and forth and no one complained. if i copy a cd for a friend, no one would complain. the only difference between then and now is in the information age they can "know" about it. but it is the same thing that has been going on for the last 40 years. i feel that once an artist has their music on the radio for all to hear (for free) it becomes public license. so i agree, downloading music shouldnt be a crime.

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
As a musician I would like to share that the majority of a bands income is not from album sales. Most of that money goes to the recording label. Most of the money a band will make will come from ticket sales and from merchandise.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
To be honest, I owe some bands that I like a bit of money. Now I do not have the physical media, so they will not get $16 from me, but the record label would not give them that anyway... more like $1 or $2. If I saw them in person though, I would give them a gift basket with beer, delicious munchies, and a thank you card.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Wish you people would smarten up it is not "piracy",,,it is copyright infringement,piracy usually happened on the high seas and mostly ,but not always during the time of Elizabeth I of England,for instance,,,when you use the term "piracy" you are playing into the hands of U NO WHOO...:)

deividast

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I love and fully agree with this guys point of view.... i myself have bought not one album after getting them for free, and without just downloading anything that i see i wouldn't even know about some of my favorite bands today :)

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
A good example here. I've downloaded songs from a favorite artist. Then I proceeded to go to a show and buy merchandise with a couple of my friends because the music I liked all the music I downloaded.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I like these guys now. Their music isn't bad either.
[citation][nom]volks1470[/nom]A good example here. I've downloaded songs from a favorite artist. Then I proceeded to go to a show and buy merchandise with a couple of my friends because the music I liked all the music I downloaded.[/citation]
I concur.
If Ozzy, OTEP, Avenue Q etc. came to my city, I'd go buy a ticket. =D
Isn't the bulk of the money the artist makes actually from concerts?

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
He is totally right, I always find it funny when record companies say "We lost X million $ this year due to piracy!" yeah, right, because everybody who downloaded one of your songs would have gone out and bought the album if he had no alternative >.>

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
[citation][nom]VioMeTriX[/nom]i feel that once an artist has their music on the radio for all to hear (for free) it becomes public license. so i agree, downloading music shouldnt be a crime.[/citation]

totally agree. it should only be a crime when you make money out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.