Obama Contemplating Three-Strikes Piracy Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
More heavy handed policies from the White House Administration... More Big Brother.... More and more rules and regulations to make the horse blinders I'm forced to wear even bigger.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
if u use a private tracker ... use a forced encryption ... and download 10 terabytes a day ... they can't do crap about it ... next

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]This will not be very popular with ISPs. I don't think they will be happy with loosing customers.[/citation]

How many times do I have to see the word "losing" incorrectly spelled?? It's not spelled "loosing"!

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]Obama needs a bomb near him ....[/citation]

Although I don't like the guy at all. That's not the route to take.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Be closer to selling (or giving away) knock off handbags outside of the Gucci store rather than walking in there and stealing one. How many people who get the knock off would have bought the original otherwise?

Also you have those studies that show often people who download pirated stuff also spend higher than average. Cut their internet connection and you also cut them off from legitimate purchases (legal downloads, ordering CD's, DVD's, BluRays). Suppose it might lead to an increase in brick and mortar sales, but I wouldn't be surprised if widespread implementation of such a policy resulted in a noticeable decrease in legitimate sales. Especially with children getting their parents cut off and the like.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]Obama needs a bomb near him ....[/citation]

if u live in the states .... run .... cos in about 10 seconds.... the agency is gona be at ur door.... 5 ...4...

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
We're turning into an authoritarian style of Government.. sad to see people just rolling over and letting stuff like this happen all the time. Rights are disappearing day by day, as we cede control to the corporatocracy.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I'm all for it. If you don't pirate (which you shouldn't) then there is no problem.

The only people who this affects are pirates, and I'm of the opinion that they should go to jail, because piracy IS a crime.

G

The movie industry is the only place where they can charge you four times for the same product. Once to watch a movie in the theater, once to rent it on dvd, once to buy the dvd, oh and once to watch it on cable! Everything is about profitability.

lightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]3 strikes, without any chance to refute the charges? can you say a violation of "due process of law"[/citation]

If you get caught the first or second time I can understand someone either hacked individuals router or a family member downloaded illegally without prior consent. But get caught a third time and I really think they deserve to get banned....imo

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lightsaber[/nom]If you get caught the first or second time I can understand someone either hacked individuals router or a family member downloaded illegally without prior consent. But get caught a third time and I really think they deserve to get banned....imo[/citation]

An interesting point, I have a feeling that such a law would cause an increase in hacked personal routers since ISP's would track based on modem information, or public IP address, they would have no ability to track and ban my little peentop's web activity unless they unlawfully install an agent onto my computer that transmits a unique identifier...unlawful now, but maybe not in the next few years if legislation like this gets passed...

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
If this does go through, then VPN or some other type of encrypted network would probably be used then. Then they would probably be back at square one, catching the least technically inclined while being unable to catch the biggest providers/seeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.