Obama's All-Star Tech Powerhouse Dinner Guests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
That was dangerous. You can´t put a lot of important people in the same room. Imagine if some kind of disaster occurred there? That´s what Skype is for.

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
The choices of which CEO of up and coming tech companies to invite is pretty much subjective. The Obama administration minders must have used a dart board to pick or just chose those that are known to those around the office, without the benefit of knowing for sure which company really has an impact on employment within the U.S. You have a few dead or dying companies (Yahoo).

What I'm really surprised is that the CEOs of Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Microsoft, Amazon, Motorola, Hewlett Packard, Dell, Texas Instrument, Zenith, as well as Newegg were not invited to the WH dinner. Many of the above companies pioneered new technologies as well as created millions of U.S. jobs.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]kyee7k[/nom]The choices of which CEO of up and coming tech companies to invite is pretty much subjective. The Obama administration minders must have used a dart board to pick or just chose those that are known to those around the office, without the benefit of knowing for sure which company really has an impact on employment within the U.S. You have a few dead or dying companies (Yahoo). What I'm really surprised is that the CEOs of Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Microsoft, Amazon, Motorola, Hewlett Packard, Dell, Texas Instrument, Zenith, as well as Newegg were not invited to the WH dinner. Many of the above companies pioneered new technologies as well as created millions of U.S. jobs.[/citation]

But... World breaking innovations in the field of computing like TI, Intel and IBM produced tons of aren't sexy and attractive enough. I mean, who cares about why their PC can run Facebook? All that matters to average Joe is that they can track their neighbour with it.

jmk7000

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Hasn't anyone clicked the campaign donations link? This wasn't about technology. It was a meeting of some of the most liberal technology companies on the planet. Let's get real here, the CEO of NetFlix? There are plenty of other people he could have invited that would've made more sense.

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Amazon is a pretty liberal company, since it's headquartered in one of the democratic strongholds of the U.S. (Seattle).

My face when I saw the CEO of Netflix invited.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
yaaay for cobbling together a bunch of power people with powerful influence by the president of the united states to influence the minds of the people! but noo obama's not a communist or anything...

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]yaaay for cobbling together a bunch of power people with powerful influence by the president of the united states to influence the minds of the people! but noo obama's not a communist or anything...[/citation]

Yeah right... Thank God Republicans don't lobby or talk to big enterprise leaders. Last time I checked, it were the Republicans that took most of the lobbyist's donations and that were big business' best friend.

If Obama were a communist, which he isn't (I suggest you read what Marx and Engels had to say and you would notice that Obama is about as far away from communism as a Tea Party member) , he wouldn't have a cozy chat with captains of industry. Instead, he would strip both state and enterprise from their power and give it to the common people, a bit like the Tea Party wants.

G

Silmarunya, I think you almost had it right.....
"Instead he (Obama) would strip both state and enterprise from their power and give it to ...."the people of his choice that thinks like him and supports him", you know like union bosses, public sector politicos, and whomever else he deems deserving."

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
What people don't see, but someone is closer, is that all these so called high-tech companies (not all , but Facebook, Twitter and Yahoo are emblematic ), have one thing in common: Huge databases with private people's data, high capacity of monitoring activities over internet ,and huge potential of influence for the masses. The only two companies that have (apparently) nothing to do with that are Genentech and Westly Group.
I bet that people still don't give a fart about the fact that Apple can have access to all the information in their mighty iPhone.
Today all the shizznizz you do in internet are interconnected, if u connect all the account that you have, and lots of time i see on FB that someone shop o X site X thing and than read on scribd that other thing and is fav..on YT some crap video, and so on..... And that person have no clue about these "sharing". Lots of people have no clue of how to use properly the internet,on how to defend privacy.
I can tell that this meeting is not about technology, is about information.. And is not Obama, or right or left..is government, corporate power, things like that. Once Obama gone , will come another one to do the interest of big money.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Hupiscratch[/nom]That was dangerous. You can´t put a lot of important people in the same room. Imagine if some kind of disaster occurred there? That´s what Skype is for.[/citation]

If only.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Yeah right... Thank God Republicans don't lobby or talk to big enterprise leaders. Last time I checked, it were the Republicans that took most of the lobbyist's donations and that were big business' best friend. If Obama were a communist, which he isn't (I suggest you read what Marx and Engels had to say and you would notice that Obama is about as far away from communism as a Tea Party member) , he wouldn't have a cozy chat with captains of industry. Instead, he would strip both state and enterprise from their power and give it to the common people, a bit like the Tea Party wants.[/citation]

ha. You are very confused. There are two different kinds of communism. There is ideological communism and there is political communism. You are talking about ideological communism. That kind of communism only exists in books and peoples' imaginations. Political communism is very very different. It is a political power grab that dupes the poor foolish ideological communists into granting them power. This is similar to what obama is doing. Therefore obama is a lot like a communist(political communist that is).

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Isn't it possible that no one from Microsoft went because they chose not to go?? Why does everyone assume that they weren't invited?

Status
Not open for further replies.