Ocean Engineering Student looking for a Laptop

rpk22

Estimable
May 21, 2015
I am going to study Ocean Engineering this year and I am looking for a laptop that can last me for the four years and a couple years after that. My ideal laptop has;
I7 Chip (quad core)
1 TB of storage
Around 15" screen
At least 1080p screen (touch would be nice)
A decent NVIDIA chip
At least 8 hours of battery
Portable

Any suggestions on a laptop that would work would be great. Thanks!

Solution
You are not going to get a laptop with a quad core i7 CPU and 8 hours of battery life because those laptop draws a lot of power compared to dual core "u" model Core i3 and Core i5 CPUs are more likely to get about 8 hours of battery life. But they generally average about 6 - 7 hours depending on how those laptops are designed and the components used.

A more realistic battery life estimate for a laptop with a quad core i7 CPU is about 4 hours based non-intensive CPU and GPU usage. One way around this is to carry around a spare battery.

If gaming is a concern, then just accept the fact that game developers pushes graphic performance every year. If you want a GPU capable of playing games with high settings at 1080p this year through...
You are not going to get a laptop with a quad core i7 CPU and 8 hours of battery life because those laptop draws a lot of power compared to dual core "u" model Core i3 and Core i5 CPUs are more likely to get about 8 hours of battery life. But they generally average about 6 - 7 hours depending on how those laptops are designed and the components used.

A more realistic battery life estimate for a laptop with a quad core i7 CPU is about 4 hours based non-intensive CPU and GPU usage. One way around this is to carry around a spare battery.

If gaming is a concern, then just accept the fact that game developers pushes graphic performance every year. If you want a GPU capable of playing games with high settings at 1080p this year through 2019, then you are going to be disappointed.

Solution