News Oculus Quest 3 release , rumors and what we want

sheriffbullock

Honorable
Apr 16, 2014
Please, no more rechargeable controllers. I have too many cables and devices that need to be plugged in using said cables. I prefer the convenience of removable batteries over built-in battery packs. Besides, rechargeable battery packs are no more environmentally-friendly than rechargeable AAs.

anscarlett

Honorable
Jul 18, 2018
  1. Higher resolution displays, uhd for each eye and a wider hFoV. 120hz is fine, no need to go over that. Flexible oled would be nice to curve them around your head.
  2. Faster cpu/gpu.
  3. Wifi 6e.
  4. Magnetic pogo cables and a dock for headset and controllers. Please no more plug and socket charging cables!
  5. Thunderbolt 4 for pcvr
  6. Eye tracking.
  7. Auxiliary usb c for additional accessories.
  8. Wide angle stereoscopic front passthrough cameras.
  9. Better controllers, grip sensors, more solid wrist straps
  10. Please offer a dark grey or black option.

Feb 19, 2021
I think there's exactly ONE feature that will absolutely make the next Quest the undisputed king of VR, and that's built-in (or otherwise easy) wireless streaming of games from a PC. Basically the only objective downside to the Quest over a wired headset is that the quest can't play all VR games onboard, and can only play certain ones via a special cord connected to your PC. The HTC Vive has an adapter to make it wireless, but it requires an expensive accessory that requires you to plug a card into your computer's motherboard, which not everyone can afford/use. A completely standalone headset that can be used anywhere AND can play high-quality games wirelessly from a PC in the room would basically be the best of all worlds, with the only advantage of other headsets being minor incremental improvements like FOV, refresh rate, eye tracking, better audio delivery, and more specialized controllers, none of which have proven essential for the most popular VR games, and basically all of which are currently trumped by the Quest's portability, ease of use, and price point.

And the best part is that people have already done this on the Quest 2, apparently to amazing success (under the right circumstances). From the sound of it, you currently need to sideload some special software and have good internet, delivered from a good router (that may or may not need line of sight to the headset itself). They have been reluctant to endorse this feature since an improper setup can cause lag and motion sickness, but if they can include some additional hardware (either onboard or perhaps a USB-C accessory) to improve the wireless connection to the point of being stable for even most users, I would ditch my Index and buy a Quest 3 in a heartbeat.

traditional_elk67

Commendable
Feb 26, 2021
I think there's exactly ONE feature that will absolutely make the next Quest the undisputed king of VR, and that's built-in (or otherwise easy) wireless streaming of games from a PC. Basically the only objective downside to the Quest over a wired headset is that the quest can't play all VR games onboard, and can only play certain ones via a special cord connected to your PC. The HTC Vive has an adapter to make it wireless, but it requires an expensive accessory that requires you to plug a card into your computer's motherboard, which not everyone can afford/use. A completely standalone headset that can be used anywhere AND can play high-quality games wirelessly from a PC in the room would basically be the best of all worlds, with the only advantage of other headsets being minor incremental improvements like FOV, refresh rate, eye tracking, better audio delivery, and more specialized controllers, none of which have proven essential for the most popular VR games, and basically all of which are currently trumped by the Quest's portability, ease of use, and price point.

And the best part is that people have already done this on the Quest 2, apparently to amazing success (under the right circumstances). From the sound of it, you currently need to sideload some special software and have good internet, delivered from a good router (that may or may not need line of sight to the headset itself). They have been reluctant to endorse this feature since an improper setup can cause lag and motion sickness, but if they can include some additional hardware (either onboard or perhaps a USB-C accessory) to improve the wireless connection to the point of being stable for even most users, I would ditch my Index and buy a Quest 3 in a heartbeat.

This is already a feature on the Quest 2. All you have to do is buy the Virtual Desktop app from the Oculus Store and then download the streamer app on your PC. It's simple and easy to do. You don't need a cutting edge WIFI 6 "Gaming" Router. It works with minimal latency on 5ghz wifi. I use a $60 router from Archer and it works fine.

I've been playing SkyrimVR, Blade and Sorcery, and No Man's Sky VR on my Quest 2 every night wirelessly for the past several months. It's a game changer.

clampton

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
HDR will be impressive in VR... turning away from blinding light will bring massive immersion.

Feb 14, 2023
Wider FoV. This should be a feature paramount to development, yet is often disregarded. The narrow FoV on most headsets is absolutely immersion-breaking and once you experience a wider FoV headset, it's almost impossible to go back to things like the Reverb G2 and Quest 2 etc. even if they have higher resolutions. The Quest 2 is OK, but its narrow FoV and abysmal battery really hold it back. The resolution, refresh rate and XR2 chip is more than enough. If the Q3 comes with 130 hFoV, a battery of at least 50% or higher SoT with better tracking it would be an easy day 1 purchase for me. If the Q3 is still at or similar FOV to the current Q2, it will be a hard pass for me.

Mar 9, 2023
For me, my essential upgrades would be...

Larger sweet spot. Quest 2 was a downgrade from the Rift-S in this regard and annoying.
Granular IPD adjustment, because no one wants their experience tarred by a Jack Sparrow vision simulation.
Proper head strap. The Quest 2 came with a strap that looked like it came from a sumo wrestlers underpants and was completely inadequate for the job.
Better quality lenses. The Quest 2 suffers from lens flare and rays in dark scenes in a way that ruined the Big Screen experience for me, and was a step down from the Rift-S in that respect.

The nice-to-have's would be....

Access to other marketplaces for android apps such as the Amazon App Store and Google Play store. No one likes being locked out of the apps they use on a daily basis on their phone and tied in to an ecosystem with limited apps.
Better quality passthrough and a move towards more augmented reality content.
Eye tracking like PSVR 2 to assist with foveated rending of where your eyes look. PC VR already puts a strain on the GPU, more so with the move to USB C with the Quest 2 instead of the DisplayPort used by the Rift-S. The GPU could do with a helping hand, especially with the direction GPU prices have gone over the past few years.
Slimmer design, the Quest 2 is currently not comfortable for me over long periods with it being front heavy.
Wider FOV

Things to keep would be....

Keep the AA batteries. Very convenient with a AA battery charger just to swap them out and carry on playing. I really don't want a proprietary battery pack.

Mar 9, 2023
Please, no more rechargeable controllers. I have too many cables and devices that need to be plugged in using said cables. I prefer the convenience of removable batteries over built-in battery packs. Besides, rechargeable battery packs are no more environmentally-friendly than rechargeable AAs.

I'm with you on that one. I have a AA battery charger that can charge up 4 x AA batteries in 20 minutes. So easy to just swap them out carry on playing!

Reactions: Charliepuffin

Stealth Pyros

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
This is already a feature on the Quest 2. All you have to do is buy the Virtual Desktop app from the Oculus Store and then download the streamer app on your PC.
You don't really even need that. The default built-in AirLink works good enough. VD is definitely better as it gives you more configuration, though.

Jun 5, 2023
Australian here!
We did get an official pricing for the Quest 3 send to us as an email from Meta
The price is $829.99 AUD
The price for the Quest 2 currently is $629.99 AUD, but will drop soon

Aug 24, 2023
Agreed. Why does this article say "unfortunately disposable batteries". That means we can put our own rechargeable ones in and the controller avoids becoming ewaste!