oculus rift or vive i am confused

malik11

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
hi.
i have been gaming on pc for 15 years now and whenever i had an issue tomshardware had the solution.

this is why im here now, so i have saved some money and i want to buy a vr headset.
i read about both headsets and i am considering the oculus simply because i dont have space to take advantage of the vive, also oculus is 25% cheaper in my country.
anyway the reason im confused is the idea if some games being exclusive to the vive headset.
i read many topics which seemed like it was written by a fanboy to either product, what i need to know is if i buy oculus would be able to play all vr games ? specially fallout 4 vr and doom vfr are these games exclusive on the vive as it says on steam store page?
please help me decide and give me an honest unbiased answer thanks in advance :)

Solution
Fallout 4 VR and Doom VR are games that will have exclusive support for the Vive. That means they will not be officially supported on the Oculus. You might be able to run those games with some unofficial drivers made by the Oculus community, but out of the box only the Vive will play those two games.

Vive seems to be the better overall VR headset anyway. Oculus is cheaper, but Vive, from what I've seen, is more responsive and an overall better experience. I don't have much experience with VR though, so take that with a grain of salt.

JalYt_Justin

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
Fallout 4 VR and Doom VR are games that will have exclusive support for the Vive. That means they will not be officially supported on the Oculus. You might be able to run those games with some unofficial drivers made by the Oculus community, but out of the box only the Vive will play those two games.

Vive seems to be the better overall VR headset anyway. Oculus is cheaper, but Vive, from what I've seen, is more responsive and an overall better experience. I don't have much experience with VR though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Solution

WildCard999

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
I bought the Oculus when it went on sale for $399 and at the time the Vive was $799 so the choice was pretty clear however with the price drop of the Vive at $599 and the Oculus now at $499 I would actually go with the Vive, not only for Fallout, Skyrim & Doom VR but also the other content that Steam has to offer as some titles don't support the Oculus very well. Also apparently roomscale is better with the Vive as with Oculus I found out two sensors, when setup in two front corners (stock cables aren't long enough) will cover about 85% of your room but you really need that 3rd sensor (and a longer cable) to do full roomscale.

Sakkura

Distinguished
There are no Vive-exclusive games, since the Vive uses SteamVR that explicitly supports the Oculus Rift as well (and will also support the Microsoft headsets and the upcoming LG headset). If you care about out of the box game compatibility, the Oculus Rift is ahead of the HTC Vive.

adamscurr

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Your on the low end for being able to run VR. I'm not sure that your experience is going to be great with the 8350. THe 980 should be fine, but you might have trouble with the 8350. I used to own one, but never tried running VR with it...

Adam