Oh My: Apple Bans Foxconn iPhone App

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Yeah I noticed how the article here mentioned that Foxconn started to take action BUT I HEARD NOTHING MENTIONED ABOUT APPLE MAKING SOME EFFORT TO REMEDIATE WORKERS ISSUES.

Apple doesn't own the factory BUT the stuff that comes out of it has Apples name on it so I think if they are a responsible corporate citizen they need to get involved at the plant level and do something to solve the problems too.

weaselsmasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
And of course YOUR PCs and Android phones (yes, YOURS) are "more socially responsible"... have no FoxConn components... and non-Foxconn Chinese factories are better, and more closely supervised... and the manufacturers make more accurate claims than Apple...

Oh, wait. None of the above are true.

If there is a problem which consumers must be held responsible for, I guarantee Android and PC owners are exactly as liable as Apple owners. That means YOU, dear reader. YOU, personally, have exactly as much blood on your hands, and the anti-Apple screed is just a chain of lies and hypocrisy.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]unclealek2659[/nom]im glad they care enough to protect us from a video game depicting graphic content and child abuse, thank the lord.[/citation]
Because people who play this game will resort to violence and abuse their children right?

The only thing Apple is protecting is their own image. If you need protection and censorship on video games from Apple, then all I can say is iSheeeep?

cognoscentiable

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
The app really isn't that bad.. It was almost certainly removed because it puts Apple and companies like them in a bad light rather than on moral grounds.

G

"im glad they care enough to protect us from a video game depicting graphic content and child abuse, thank the lord."

I think i can protect myself, thank you. I do not need someone to choose for me what is right or not, and it's very annoying when some game, app or product gets banned from the market 'couse "they" think so.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
But... if they hire the proper amount of staff, to afford normal shifts, and hire proper miners, paying them the right salary, and recycle in the right way which is probably more expensive, then a phone would cost 1000$, not 499 or so, and we won't be able to afford a new one every year!

OH THE HUMANITY!!!

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
encompassing a labor force of around 1.2 million people that are partially responsible for building Apple's popular gadgets. Twenty-five workers have attempted suicide since 2007

I fail to see the relationship. I know the working conditions are/may be bad...but lets look at a city here in the US the has a population of 1.2 million and see what the suicide rate is.

I'm not trying to justify Foxconn's business practices but unsubstantiated accusations are unacceptable.

stingertja

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]weaselsmasher[/nom]And of course YOUR PCs and Android phones (yes, YOURS) are "more socially responsible"... have no FoxConn components... and non-Foxconn Chinese factories are better, and more closely supervised... and the manufacturers make more accurate claims than Apple...Oh, wait. None of the above are true.If there is a problem which consumers must be held responsible for, I guarantee Android and PC owners are exactly as liable as Apple owners. That means YOU, dear reader. YOU, personally, have exactly as much blood on your hands, and the anti-Apple screed is just a chain of lies and hypocrisy.[/citation]

I would say that you have a point, but there is one problem with your statement and that is Apple has the highest profit margin of any consumer electronics company in the world whether you are talking about computers or Ipod/Iphones

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Foxconn pays for the livelihood of millions of Chinese families, lifting them out of poverty. That's more than any government has ever done in the history of man.

G

I did the math for the US using suicide statistics for 1.2 million people over 4 years. That is 11.2 people per year per 100000. On average 530 of them would have killed themselves over that period. So when are Foxconn getting a medal? And why do articles keep referring to this statistic. 25 suicides is not at all interesting beyond how incredibly low it is even for developed countries. Same math for China's population = 316 over 4 years. Boycotting Foxconn would just mean these people would have no jobs at all.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
[citation][nom]weaselsmasher[/nom]And of course YOUR PCs and Android phones (yes, YOURS) are "more socially responsible"... have no FoxConn components... and non-Foxconn Chinese factories are better, and more closely supervised... and the manufacturers make more accurate claims than Apple...Oh, wait. None of the above are true.If there is a problem which consumers must be held responsible for, I guarantee Android and PC owners are exactly as liable as Apple owners. That means YOU, dear reader. YOU, personally, have exactly as much blood on your hands, and the anti-Apple screed is just a chain of lies and hypocrisy.[/citation]

The funny thing about this is that most of the crapple buyers are the hipster type, human rights activists and eco people. Irony is a bitch dude.

I guarantee you that pc/android people haven't generated anywhere near the demand that crapple products have. Don't quote figures that android outsells crapple because that doesn't mean anything. There are at least 3 big android manufacturers so the products are more distributed. Even when something big like the PS3 or Xbox 360 came out there weren't reports of suicides like this and those 2 items generated some pretty big demand. Face it, if you buy crapple products you're buying from a company that only cares about YOU which of course is what most of YOU crapple people like anyway.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
[citation][nom]Afrospinach[/nom]I did the math for the US using suicide statistics for 1.2 million people over 4 years. That is 11.2 people per year per 100000. On average 530 of them would have killed themselves over that period. So when are Foxconn getting a medal? And why do articles keep referring to this statistic. 25 suicides is not at all interesting beyond how incredibly low it is even for developed countries. Same math for China's population = 316 over 4 years. Boycotting Foxconn would just mean these people would have no jobs at all.[/citation]

How many of these suicides took place at their place of work though? That's the big question and why this has drawn more reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.