Ohms (Ω) (speakers and amp)

Gershy

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
Hi
Ive got an Pioneer SX-590 amp
currently hooked up to 2 Wharfedale speakers (6ohms) and i want to buy 2 more becuase my amp supports 4 speakers... i found some speakers on ebay that are 4ohms or 6ohms

my amp says
A,B ------- 4+ ohms
A+B -------- 8+ ohms

can i hook up my old speakers (6ohms) and 2 new ones (4or6ohms)

BTW that amp sounds amazing and will these speakers on ebay sound similar?? or does it depend on the speakers and not the amp...

Thanks
Gershy

Solution
Your Pioneer is 20 watt per channel so it is not a a lot of power. I would suggest getting speakers of 8 ohms since your receiver is marked to indicate this. The A,B----4 ohms means that if you play one pair at a time the speakers can be 4 ohms or greater. A+B----8 ohms means that each pair must be 8 ohms when you play both pairs at the same time.
Adding bad speakers to better ones usually produces more sound but not improved sound.

mickypheonix

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
Hi Gershy
You should be able too hook up the 4ohm speakers from ebay to your amp , ultimately the sound depends on the quality of the woofers and tweeters within your speakers , the amp sounds good but it doesn't matter how good the amp is if the speakers are crappy the sound will be crappy , usually the lower the wattage of a speaker the more it will dostort and sound horrible under load

Your Pioneer is 20 watt per channel so it is not a a lot of power. I would suggest getting speakers of 8 ohms since your receiver is marked to indicate this. The A,B----4 ohms means that if you play one pair at a time the speakers can be 4 ohms or greater. A+B----8 ohms means that each pair must be 8 ohms when you play both pairs at the same time.
Adding bad speakers to better ones usually produces more sound but not improved sound.

Solution

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
your amp pretty clearely states 8 ohm for a+b speakers, so you need 2 pairs of 8 ohm or you might overload the amp. if your using the new pair of speakers individually and not together with your current speakers then thats not a problem.