Old computer restored

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
I posted not too long ago about my laptop and how I could fix it and about the problems I was having and after some great advice that actually led to me fixing the computer, I now have a working laptop that had crashed out and sat for 3 years untouched, as stated the computer works now but I do have some problems after the restore, at random times and mostly when trying to run large programs such as giants editor and installing new tech I get multiple BSOD crashes and always have to end up removing worm viruses and such before it starts working normally, also with several programs I get a GL_ARB_get_program_binary_not supported errors, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about my new problems as I cannot successfully fully remove these errors myself, any help would be appreciated, my most common BSOD SCREEN states KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR the computer has received the stop command from error to protect hardware and so on and so forth

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I appreciate all your help The-Man12 but I am gonna try to keep what I have at this moment, I may come back to your advice in the future though, my dad just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and from what I can see of Windows 10 I say I prefer win7 much more, in a world of growing technology and that technology making cars drive on their own I'm way more comfortable with the old ways lol another reason I decided not to just leap to win10 is because the Internet where I live processes at kbps and completely shuts down if more then a few hundred megabytes are downloaded lol

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I ran chkdsk last night at 1am and after about 2 hours it replaced bad clusters throughout and now it seems to be stuck on stage 5 and won't go further, would it be OK to force restart it

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Its says verifying free space (5304734 of 138621726 free clusters processed) it does advance but at a 1000 clusters every 5 minutes

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

That's gonna suck, could you tell me where I could get a cheap replacement hard drive, it did speed up to 100,000 clusters every 5 or so minutes

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Is there anything I can do to save this hard drive

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I've been going at this for over a week, if this one goes out completely I think I'm gonna buy a new computer and just get it over with, it would be a lot cheaper and less hassle

ffg7

Splendid
the bsod is being caused by the bad sectors on the hard drive. won't be cheaper & less hassle when buying a new computer as it will be using windows 10 which is not the same as windows 7 in appearance & use. new laptop hard drive is a lot cheaper then a new cheap laptop & your laptop is still good except for the bad hard drive.

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Well I meant getting a new win7 pc, this one the keypad doesn't seat right and it has keys missing, I don't know I thought it was fixable