Old laptop opens the cd tray when powering it on.

N4ch007

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
It's an old Compaq 1245.
I want to restore it just for fun. I've replaced the CMOS battery, cleaned it and reinstalled WinME (will swtich to 98SE later). But this is driving me crazy. Whenever I power the laptop on, the cd drivers opens automatically.

There doesn't seem to be any other problems.

Any idea what might be happening?
Thanks!

Solution
Pop the drive, pop the cables, clean the contacts, re-attach firmly and try again. Maybe do the same for the other end of the cables, if accessible. Failing that, it sounds like it's a handy cup holder. :)
A few things to check.

1. Check the BIOS and make sure that the drive is not the first item listed. I have seen it do this when listed first and looking for media.

2. Go into "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager". Check for hardware changes and also update the driver.

3. Check for any programs set to autorun at startup. It is completely possible the drive had been set up to do this by a program.

4. Check the computer for viruses and malware.

5. The drive needs repair or replacing.

6. The motherboard has an issue and needs replacing.

N4ch007

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Thanks for your response!
The problem is that it opens as soon as I press the power button. Not even half of a second later.
The drive works and so does the rest of the computer, so I would disregard any of them being broken :/

camieabz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
Pop the drive, pop the cables, clean the contacts, re-attach firmly and try again. Maybe do the same for the other end of the cables, if accessible. Failing that, it sounds like it's a handy cup holder. :)

Solution

N4ch007

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Simply re-sitting the drive worked! Thank you