Old laptop

werner_80

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
Hello,
I have a old satellite 1800 system that my 10 year old been using. He tried turning it on today, but it's dead. The fan and indicator lights turn on, but power to the linksys and disk don't. Is it time to trash it?

Solution
If you have an external monitor, and the laptop has vga output you may want to give it a try.
I'm thinking maybe it can't find the display because of some cable error, and this might prevent it to reach the point where you can go into BIOS for further info.

mimi7

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Hi there,

can be little problem, but can be big.
So i suggest not to spend money to try to repaired, just buy something little and cheap for your 10 years old kid.

good luck

[:mimi7]

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
If you have an external monitor, and the laptop has vga output you may want to give it a try.
I'm thinking maybe it can't find the display because of some cable error, and this might prevent it to reach the point where you can go into BIOS for further info.

Solution

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Ah, and if I may, if you throw it out, save the hard drive. Just for nostalgic reasons. It probably won't be of any use (you'd need an IDE external enclosure to be able to use it, which would probably cost more than the drive/GB).