old receiver smart tv audio issue

luckychicken22

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
I have an older Techics receiver and a new Samsung smart TV. The optical cable works fine for the cable tv but the audio go out when we switch to use Netflix and our DVD player. I know the optical cable is functional but was wondering if I updated the converter box, would that solve that issue? its about 5 yrs old.

Didn't you say cable TV works fine? So the "converter box" is the one that brings the TV right? why are we trying to fix what already works?

The problem could be, like my own TV, the toslink connector only passes surround information if its source is TV, it won't pass surround information from anywhere else, like if you attempt DVD ---> (HDMI) TV (Toslink) --> Receiver, it still should pass stereo though but am not 100% sure. When you hook things up this way, have you told receiver to expect a stereo signal and see what happens?

For new TV + old Receiver, you should really let the TV switch video, and the Receiver switch audio, meaning DVD Player ---> (HDMI) TV, at the same time another cable DVD Player ---> (Toslink) Receiver.

luckychicken22

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
Yes the TV works great with the Direct tv box. Its when we use the smart tv apps or our Blue ray/DVD player, the sound does not come through our home stereo system (surround sound). It comes through on the TV but what fun is it to watch movies not in surround sound.

quotemsg=18685561,0,1687658]Didn't you say cable TV works fine? So the "converter box" is the one that brings the TV right? why are we trying to fix what already works?

The problem could be, like my own TV, the toslink connector only passes surround information if its source is TV, it won't pass surround information from anywhere else, like if you attempt DVD ---> (HDMI) TV (Toslink) --> Receiver, it still should pass stereo though but am not 100% sure. When you hook things up this way, have you told receiver to expect a stereo signal and see what happens?

For new TV + old Receiver, you should really let the TV switch video, and the Receiver switch audio, meaning DVD Player ---> (HDMI) TV, at the same time another cable DVD Player ---> (Toslink) Receiver. [/quotemsg]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Streaming Video & TVs 3
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
D Streaming Video & TVs 2
4 Streaming Video & TVs 5
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 6
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
H Streaming Video & TVs 1
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
H Streaming Video & TVs 3
G Streaming Video & TVs 4