Old vs New HTPC specs

Gingertechy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I want to make a simple HTPC for in my living room. I am looking at 3 options atm to choose from.
Either way I go I am using my current PSU which is a corsair 650 my current case which is a cooler master XB evo. I am debating on using my crucial 64gb (300?) I think. I bought it a long time ago might buy a new one still thinking that over. My case can hold a good bit of hard drives so I am going to start with about 8tbs (2x4tb).
I already have over 4tbs of media atm on 5+ year old WD blues and want all my media on my new HTPC I will also keep it on my current drives because it's always good to have multiple copies. I will be watching movies, streaming netflix/crunchyroll, listening to music etc...

Option 1. Use current AMD 955 black edition cpu and a Asus mobo that I have forgotten the name of tbh. I will have to buy a new video card since I gave my old one away to a friend.

Option 2. Buy a new CPU and MOBO. I was thinking i3 or i5. I was thinking of an i5 because my baby cousin likes to play games on my current PC and it would be nice to let him play in the living room. I know prob don't need an i5 for gaming but its always good to future proof and I will be multitasking on it. I was also thinking of using the GPU on the i3 or i5 for now and when the 950 Ti comes out grab one. I would also have to buy ram for this.

Option 3. Buy a Intel Nuc get parts for it use a external HDD and say screw it?

A side note "Noise does not matter" don't worry about noise at all. I will have the pc in another room and I will run the wires through the wall you can't hear anything through the wall.

I am having a hard time choosing so I thought I would ask Tom's community to help me out. Thanks!

Edit: Found the MOBO I have it doesn't even have 6Gb/s sata ouch imo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366

Solution
If it's mainly for media playback, I'd say stick with what you got. 955 BE is solid. If it was me, I wouldn't try to incorporate gaming into the same machine. Build a separate gaming machine and do it right.

955, 4GB, your SSD, and (if you have the money) just get bigger drives and raid them. You're buying new drives, yea? If you save yourself some money by reusing old parts, put it toward a larger RAID array. RAID 5 or 10.

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
If it's mainly for media playback, I'd say stick with what you got. 955 BE is solid. If it was me, I wouldn't try to incorporate gaming into the same machine. Build a separate gaming machine and do it right.

955, 4GB, your SSD, and (if you have the money) just get bigger drives and raid them. You're buying new drives, yea? If you save yourself some money by reusing old parts, put it toward a larger RAID array. RAID 5 or 10.

Solution