Oldest ''Working'' Computer Gets New Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
seriously... This guy only had stamina enough to use a calculator for 30 mins?

"In a race with a human mathematician using a mechanical calculator, the human kept pace for 30 minutes, but then had to retire exhausted as the machine carried on remorselessly."

Recycle that old POS, build 10000 new PC cases from it.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]nonstoprobot[/nom]But can it run Crysis?[/citation]
lol... um no.
It can hardly calculate the tax for the purchase of the game.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hell, it can't even SPELL Crysis. Still, it's kinda cool to keep stuff like this running for posterity. As fast as the computer is evolving, it would be like going to a museum and seeing an exhibit with actual, living neaderthals.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I'm impressed it could run for 10 days. I doubt the average user's Windows install can last that long without a reboot.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]seriously... This guy only had stamina enough to use a calculator for 30 mins?"In a race with a human mathematician using a mechanical calculator, the human kept pace for 30 minutes, but then had to retire exhausted as the machine carried on remorselessly."Recycle that old POS, build 10000 new PC cases from it.[/citation]
He's using a mechanical calculator (they didn't have those fancy pocket calculators at the time), working furiously to keep up. And I think that even if he could keep going another half hour, there was little reason to do so, the conclusions would be the same.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]It is very nice as an antique, but putting all that money to revive it is a complete waste![/citation]
Agreed. Also I don't even want to know how much power that thing must consume.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]johnny_5[/nom]Agreed. Also I don't even want to know how much power that thing must consume.[/citation]
If I owned it... it would be a Case mod for my more modern super computer/main-frame. I would show people the beast and then wow them when they see it run Crysis :)

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Even if it did have the processing power, playing on ticker tape would prove rather difficult. I mean, my graphing calculator would be 100 times more suited for Crysis! At least it has some form of screen...

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Someday Crysis-ready computers will be a waste and we will see some of our modded computers in a museum. There's gonna be other people in that year and they will ask ( Can it play some badass-uber demanding graphics game?). Hell our computers are going to be total joke.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
They should move that computer from museums to museums so the people and children could see what computers are like years before they are born.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Hell, it can't even SPELL Crysis. Still, it's kinda cool to keep stuff like this running for posterity. As fast as the computer is evolving, it would be like going to a museum and seeing an exhibit with actual, living neaderthals.[/citation]

Guys, the "Can it run Crysis" thing is a joke. Chill down a bit, no need to take it so seriously and literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.