'Omni-Gamers' Growing in Number, Says Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
I do most of my gaming on my PC, and I use my phone with a Gameklip to play NES/SNES/etc emulated games. I don't own any consoles because I personally feel they're a waste of money. The games are too expensive and consoles are one-trick-ponies. At least I can do work on my PC and use my phone as a phone when I'm not gaming.

mamasan2000

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I don't see the point in creating different classes of gamers. Console vs PC vs Phones vs Flashgames vs whatever. Who cares? You play what you like, whatever its on.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
The article is a little inane, sorry.

Of course there are more "casual gamers" and "social gamers" on the PC - that is the only platform that can run such games as League of Legends, can easily play flash games online, and that has social media games.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
"The survey polled 6,606 US residents aged 2 and older (parents answered on behalf of young children) via an online survey this past April."

Talk about a large sample size! /sarcasm

And it wouldn't hurt you guys at Tom's to link your sources to the actual article your talking about. Don't f***ing source it to yourself, you didn't do the research.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/increase-in-usage-of-phones-for-gaming-causes-shift-in-us-gamer-segmentation/

"The results were weighed to be representative of the U.S. population age 2 and older."

So... 6,606 people represent 313.9 million (2012) now? And then they bothered to ask for insight from as little as two year old children?

Article dismissed.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
What the hell is with all these stupid labels? Isn't any gamer who plays online a social gamer? Does that include core gamers who play online? This survey is pretty goddamn stupid.

Oh, and 30 million Steam users would disagree with you on the casual front.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I do most of my gaming on my PC, and I use my phone with a Gameklip to play NES/SNES/etc emulated games. I don't own any consoles because I personally feel they're a waste of money. The games are too expensive and consoles are one-trick-ponies. At least I can do work on my PC and use my phone as a phone when I'm not gaming.

The Xbox One can do many things. It controls my whole entertainment setup, Functions as a media center, and oh yeah, plays games.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
The studies are full of shit as usual, NOTHING can compare to 4k gaming on pc! End of story.
I have all platforms,consoles,tablets,htpc,hardcore pc,phone etc etc Always go back to pc for proper game time, FPS games mouse and keyboard other games Logitech Wireless F710.
It's like cars, Any rusted out bomb will get you to point a or b, Some get you there in style or speed or both such as the pc.
The next gen Nucs and Brix's will be almost a death sentence to consoles, They will all merge into a pc eventually, Already starting to use normal cut down pc chips instead of dedicated hardware. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.