On Stage, Mark Zuckerberg is No Steve Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Not that i have alot of love for zuckerberg, but jobs has a few more decades of speaking on him, no crap he's better.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]Not that i have alot of love for zuckerberg, but jobs has a few more decades of speaking on him, no crap he's better.[/citation]
agreed. Everyone has a rough time on the stage when they haven't experienced the stage as much. As he gets older and the more he goes up to speak, he will progress just as everyone does. When he gets to his 30s and 40s, then we can judge him.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
How is bashing Zuckerberg news??? Unless your FOX or CNN I do not see the reason. He is young and has more money than he knows what to do with... I am sure he spends his time taking speech lessons. So ridiculous.

G

You guys have a good point. Zuckerberg is expected to suck (puns kills) at delivering presentations at his young age.

Heck, you can't blame him when you've seen all those Bill Gates videos and his superboring way of talking, and mr. Gates was way older than Zuckerber when he gave us the Windows 98 fiasco, or the sissy running on stage at the Xbox conference ;P

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]How is bashing Zuckerberg news??? Unless your FOX or CNN I do not see the reason. He is young and has more money than he knows what to do with... I am sure he spends his time taking speech lessons. So ridiculous.[/citation]

Its not news in the sense that everyone needs to know about it, but it is interesting to read about the implications of public speaking, good or bad, but any of the figures we follow at major web companies.

If Steve Jobs got up and started talking and it sounded unrehearsed it would certainly be newsworthy, and I see no reason why Zuckerberg doesn't deserve the same attention.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"Jobs also owns the kind of charisma very few people have - the kind that makes to drop everything you do and listen instantly."

really how come it is evry tiem i here steve slobs talk i want to punch him in the face or turn off the computer. i thnk you overstate his charisma.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
He reminded me of that Family Guy episode where Stewie was making fun of Brian's stupid GF. The one that talked like that, with an upward inflection at the end of each sentence, like asking a question every time. Funny. Sad, but funny.

G

Facebook doesn't have to thank the traditional media (and, judging by this text, that's what tomshardware is turning into) for its success. They just have a product that has a huge appealling to a huge crowd. And they know, so far, how to keep growing.
So this comment on Zuckerberg's presentation skils sounds like "I'm a reporter, entertain me or I won't sell your product/brand with passion - and if I don't, your product/brand won't succeed". That has been true for the last decades but maybe, and I like to think so, that "truth" is changing with the new direct-media, like FB or Twitter. And the "new media" will soon be called "traditional media".
Don't be the one to put yourself on top because you will end up believing it.

G

When has public speaking been something that is easy to do? It isn't, but there are people that are extremely good at it and I commend them on their ability to do so. Zuckerberg developed facebook, but it wasn't his speaking skills that put him in his job position in the company. He may be the face, but he is not the best spokesperson for facebook. However, Zuckerberg's Um's are humbling and make him relatable to the average person. Steve Jobs on the other hand is unrelatable, he walks and talks ignorance. Why would he care what his audience thinks of him, he's developed devices that are perfect, and us humans are imperfect so we are misusing our idevices by holding them incorrectly, etc.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
wow the facial expressions on Tony are funny. You know he wanted to say SHUT UP!
He is the CEO of a company that went up there with nothing prepared, speech wise this was a perfect not to do. This was extremely funny.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Would Mark be satisfied if someone else gave this level of presentation of an amazing product announcement? i don't think he would be. He could let someone more qualified do a more enthusiastic and energize presentation. Then he could chip in a brief closing remark. Is it really a must that the top guy deliver all the keynote speeches?

ecidemon

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I find a bit of irony in an article about Zuckerbergs lack of speech prepairdness and the amount of grammatical errors in said article. Sorry if I'm being fickle, but those things get my attention more than the content of the article.

G

Could we compare apples (no pun intended) and oranges. Jobs has to sell hard goods for hard money, so he has to go along with the corporate/sales/media commercial circus. Mark has a product that sells itself. So why does he, or I, or anyone not present, care if the presentation for meaningless reporters is interesting? Much of the media is so self-absorbed that they think they are the center of the world. Sad.

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
It is unfair to compare Mark Zuckerberg to Steve Jobs. Both CEOs are computer geniuses in their own right. However, Jobs also happens to be a great keynote speaker. This is quite a rare occurrence.

Take Google for example. Neither Sergey Brin or Larry Page are great speakers. That's why they chose Sundar Pichai (SVP of Chrome) and even Marissa Mayer (blonde bombshell and a geek) to be their Google's public faces.

My recommendation for young Zucky?
Find someone who is both smart and also fluent in speaking. You've got enough on your plate to handle with 750 million and counting people using Facebook. Also, it's might be time to diversify. Online social networking is only going to around for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.