Onboard graphics (Intel HD 4600) cause login screen hangup

tranq07

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
I'm new to all this, so I'll try to provide as much information as I can. Today, I was trying to play a new game on Steam. It was stuck on "launching," so I decided to restart my computer (laptop). However, after the restart, it wouldn't post. After removing the battery and letting it sit, I booted into Safe Mode and checked out everything I could. Ultimately, I was led to my Display Adapters by other threads on this site. In the device manager, it says that my Intel HD 4600 isn't active because it has a problem (Code 43). I have tried reinstalling the drivers, to no avail. If I leave that part active, it won't get past the Windows startup screen (turns on, then goes to a black screen that alternates with an off screen). I can disable it and boot with VGA just fine.

Computer: Notebook, model P15SM (i don't know what this means, but eh)
Processor: Intel i7-4700MQ
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (problem), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M
Current driver version: 10.18.14.4414 (most recent according to Intel)
8gb RAM
solid state drive

I can provide any other information as necessary if you let me know how to find it -- I am new to thinking about hardware.

I'm prone to thinking I know what's going on even if I don't, so if something I've said so far sounds wrong or confusing, let me know and I'll clarify as best I can.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Intel Graphics driver.
- Do also check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to Intel.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25978/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been installed then test it again.
- If these will not work I would suggest doing the same with the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Lastly, if all these will not work do also reinstall Windows 7.

tranq07

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried reinstalling the drivers for both of my graphics cards, to no avail. I am pretty certain at this point the problem comes with the Intel card -- When I run my computer with that card disabled, I can start up and run just fine. This comes of course with the exception of anything that requires my video card to work properly. I have also tried rolling back to some previous versions of the drivers, and encounter the same problem.

It feels like reinstalling the OS is the nuclear option in this case. Is there any chance I have a hardware problem (which reinstalling the OS might not even solve) or are there other steps I could take before a reinstall? I'm willing to do it if it's the last option available to me, but I'd rather not kill a day making backups before it is totally necessary.

TRENDING THREADS