One Googler Gets No Cash or Raise; Gets Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

any how the information gets out... even after implementing this bonus and 10% hike... leaking this information didnt cost google any damage... the employee must have been punished by not giving him any hike or bonus... that would have been good.. but firing him for no loss to the company... further more google have some serious things to consider orkut loosing popularity.. gmail going down.. so on...

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
CNN Money reports that within hours of the news hitting the internet, Google found the leak and terminated the employee.
If this is true(having trouble trusting CNN these days) That is one heck of a model for business efficiency.

Note to self - If I have a good job and want to keep working there, don't leak company secrets or internal memos!

@vishnusivathej - I do not think Google has too much to worry about these days, business is going quite well for them, they are just trying to get a piece of everyones pie right now.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Leak private company info to the press, what did he expect? Hope he is back at Google in a less official capacity? Are you serious? He is going to have a tough time finding a job anywhere after this. I certainly wouldn't hire anyone who was fired from his previous position for leaking confidential company information. Better get your Wal Mart greeter skills up to buff, because that is what you are going to be doing the rest of your life.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Can't say I disagree with what Google did at all. Nothing wrong with letting the public know AFTER the fact what was done but to leak a confidential memo and expect that you'll get to keep your job? GET REAL!

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tsnor[/nom]"Google found the leak and terminated the employee."When is the funeral ?[/citation]
This isn't Apple we're talking about. The Almighty Jobs doesn't deal with Google employees.

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
The memo said it was strictly confidential and he did it anyway. His fault, Google did it the only way it was possible.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Isn't it ironic that a company built on exploiting personal data fired the one guy that exploited their own?[/citation]
We opening and willingly give Google our information, they don't exactly exploit it from us. We use their services and their EULA says they can use our info, it's not exploit, but giving an internal only company memo to the press is a violation of company policy almost everywhere. Gotta say as smart as Googlers are this guy was pretty damn stupid.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I see nothing wrong with what google did. No loss to the company sure.. This time.. What about next time. Really you're freaking working at google, making some serious cash and you're gonna blow it doing something so stupid. He deserved to be fired.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]We opening and willingly give Google our information, they don't exactly exploit it from us. We use their services and their EULA says they can use our info, it's not exploit, but giving an internal only company memo to the press is a violation of company policy almost everywhere. Gotta say as smart as Googlers are this guy was pretty damn stupid.[/citation]
You don't have to use any of Google's products to be exploited by them. Anybody with the Firefox NoScript blocker can clearly see their presence on pretty much every website around because most websites use Google's advertisement services. Most users don't even know Google is monitoring their internet use for corporate gain. I've noticed more and more sites won't even work unless you allow Google javascript access, they are already working on subverting one of the few tools available to avoid Google's data mining practices. If that's not exploiting users personal data I don't know what is.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
It's common sense to me not to forward any company's memo to a non-employee of the company. That is standard practice everywhere. Confidential or not it's still an internal memo for it's employees only, not for public consumption. That is what press releases are for.

Ah well, sucks he found out the hard way.

i_like_pie

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]You don't have to use any of Google's products to be exploited by them. Anybody with the Firefox NoScript blocker can clearly see their presence on pretty much every website around because most websites use Google's advertisement services. Most users don't even know Google is monitoring their internet use for corporate gain. I've noticed more and more sites won't even work unless you allow Google javascript access, they are already working on subverting one of the few tools available to avoid Google's data mining practices. If that's not exploiting users personal data I don't know what is.[/citation]

@aaron88_7. very true. I recently blocked all cookies from being saved locally and set the browser to notify me when there is such a request. It amazed me how many cookie requests there are from adverts from a single page on the web! (including google) I've got to press 'block' about ten times before the page loads!

Status
Not open for further replies.