One more backup question.....

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hi, I have read so much about the various backups and am more confused now...
I would like to back up all of the C-Drive of my win7 64 bit laptop. (Games, Contacts, installed programs, Doc's, etc.) to my 1TB Seagate external hard drive.
Have done it with the built in Win7 application. All went flawless but looking at my ext. hard drive I can't see exactly what is backed up. I opted for the whole backup on a weekly basis.

My question is: Is there a program that backs up everything (where I can see when trying to open the files) that I can schedule to back up weekly. If I make any changes, would it the override /overwrite without adding more files to it?
Do I need a separate Sync program to do that?

I hope that this is not a redundant. Have not been able to find anything that answers this question.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Solution

I use Acronis True Image Home 2012 and it lets me mount the backup file. True Image 2013 is out now. I believe they still offer a full free trial version.

Macrium Reflect is free and also lets you mount the backup image.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
There are several reasons backup programs use one large archive, and not individual files:

1. One large archive takes up less space, and it compresses more easily than individual files.

2. It is easier to tamper with individual files, making the backup ineffective if you need to use it.

3. Some Windows files, in particular the Windows registry, cannot be backed up as a whole file because they are in constant use during a backup.

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you for your reply, Phil.
So, at this point I don't know if my backup with Windows is correct unless I need it some time down the road....
Is there a back up program that you would recommend?
Again, thanks for your advice.

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you Hawkeye22! What backup program do you use?
I have looked at so many of them and am more confused now....Haven't seen one that tells me that I would be able to see the backup. Maybe I missed it somewhere...

Hawkeye22

Distinguished

I use Acronis True Image Home 2012 and it lets me mount the backup file. True Image 2013 is out now. I believe they still offer a full free trial version.

Macrium Reflect is free and also lets you mount the backup image.

Solution